Baby possum got in my house!

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
Imagine my surprise waking up at 4am to get ready for work and see a tiny possum in my kitchen!

I'm not sure but, is he old enough to be on his own yet? If not, will hand him over to a local rehab.

(Wasn't quite sure where to put this post)

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_042527.jpg
    IMG_20210509_042527.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210509_043209.jpg
    IMG_20210509_043209.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 8
Imagine my surprise waking up at 4am to get ready for work and see a tiny possum in my kitchen!

I'm not sure but, is he old enough to be on his own yet? If not, will hand him over to a local rehab.

(Wasn't quite sure where to put this post)
This little guy looks like hes actually ready to be by himself. He's at the 'teenager' stage where they leave mom and strike out on their own. I would let him go somewhere safe and away from your house/birds so he doesn't learn to get food (trash, etc) from people.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/baby...ssums that are,do not need human intervention.

This little guy looks like hes actually ready to be by himself. He's at the 'teenager' stage where they leave mom and strike out on their own. I would let him go somewhere safe and away from your house/birds so he doesn't learn to get food (trash, etc) from people.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/baby-opossum#:~:text=If you find a baby opossum:&text=If NO, opossums that are,do not need human intervention.
Ah, okay! I knew it was around 4½-5 months when they left their mother, but I was just unsure of how old he was. Will definitely release him a couple of miles away in a local woodland like the last one I caught

I ended up with a possum about that size. I was showing goats at the Oregon State Fair one year. Some idiot exhibitor saw him walking through the barn and picked him up and threw him as far and hard as he could. The poor thing landed on the concrete floor by my feet. I scooped him up, put him in a safe place and took him home with me to California. Was what I did legal? No. Did I care? No. Kept him for a pet. Fed him mostly dog food. I had him for quite a while until someone left a door open and he went through it. Since there was plenty of food around I am sure he did just fine. I enjoyed having him though.

Back
Top Bottom