Baby Quail- Injured foot, unable to walk

Lemon88

Songster
Nov 25, 2018
This poor coturnix quail chick has had a very rough start. He is two or three days old and doesnt look underweight, but he has hardly eaten yet which is worrying me a lot. He actually was trying to hatch for two days before i finally decided to help him hatch. I ended up chipping away at the shell with a tweezer and peeling the membrane off of him so he could finally get out. His feel were curled tightly like fists. He also seemed to not want to hold his head up and would just tuck it under his wing like he was still in the egg. I banaged his feet and now they are far better after only a day, they are no longer super curled up. He can also hold his head up now. But what worries me is he still cant walk properly. He doesnt seem to bend or move his legs right, and falls over. I have been doing 'physical therapy' trying to help stretch his legs and get them stronger. What gives me hope though is that he is loud and always trying to walk, though it is painful to see him flop around like he does. What is worrying me alot now is that one of his toes appears broken and i am worried hes in pain. It looks awful. I really hope i didnt cause this by bandaging his foot poorly, i tried to be very gentle and careful. What should i do to fix this toe? How can i help him get walking? What can I do to get him food if he doesnt eat? All of his siblings are super healthy and happy, running around and eating and drinking lots. Is this genetic or because he was trapped in the egg too long? He has drank a bit but hasnt eaten much at all. I keep him in the incubator so his siblings dont step on him, but i regularly take him out to stretch or eat/drink. So far i have just banaged his foot and since taken them off so he could try to walk and been helping him stretch hoping to gain muscle strength. I know some would just recommend euthanasia, but i am really attached to all my birds and want to do everything i can for him to make it. I would be willing to take him to a vet if he had a serious chance, but could they really do much for a tiny baby like this?

Here are some pictures of his little toe. It makes me super sad because im worried he is in a lot of pain. I just want to help him.

Attachments

• 20200421_132836.jpg
    20200421_132836.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200421_132849.jpg
    20200421_132849.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 8
I would start some chick vitamins right away, such as Poultry Cell or add one to the water, such as Vitamins with Lactobacillius or SaveAChick. Make sure they contain riboflavin. Try taping the toes in position with 2 layers of tape:

1587491994533.jpeg

Last edited:
I read somewhere that a weak chick who is not eating can be fed egg yolk. Is this true?

Back
Top Bottom