baby quail is dying?...

tuti fruiti

Hatching
Oct 17, 2020
I started to incubate some of the quail eggs we've been getting and only one hatched. She came out pretty strong and healthy looking so I wasn't concerned unlike some of our other quail hatching situations. I prepared a small cardboard box with pine shaving and I've been feeding her water and probiotic water ever since, as well a some slightly ground oats. She seemed fine this morning, maybe a little tired but I had to go and left my father to take care of her. When i came back, she was weaker then before but i knew she had been fed. Came back another time and shes limp, can barely move her head and cant chirp. She doesn't seem to be breathing, but takes long gasps of air and has sort of splayed legs. What the actual heck do i do.
The first time a bird of mine actually likes me, i don't know what the heck to do with it.

I started to incubate some of the quail eggs we've been getting and only one hatched. She came out pretty strong and healthy looking so I wasn't concerned unlike some of our other quail hatching situations. I prepared a small cardboard box with pine shaving and I've been feeding her water and probiotic water ever since, as well a some slightly ground oats. She seemed fine this morning, maybe a little tired but I had to go and left my father to take care of her. When i came back, she was weaker then before but i knew she had been fed. Came back another time and shes limp, can barely move her head and cant chirp. She doesn't seem to be breathing, but takes long gasps of air and has sort of splayed legs. What the actual heck do i do.
The first time a bird of mine actually likes me, i don't know what the heck to do with it.
oats are not adequate diet quail chicks need gamebird starter (high protein) ground at first. they can also have issues from getting wet or drinking water that is too cold....it shocks their systems. what is the temperature in the box and in the room where you are keeping it?

oats are not adequate diet quail chicks need gamebird starter (high protein) ground at first. they can also have issues from getting wet or drinking water that is too cold....it shocks their systems. what is the temperature in the box and in the room where you are keeping it?
thanks for your reply, I use near warm water and I don't have anything else to feed it. we didn't expect for anything to hatch. i also dont quite know the temp but I know that the box is warm and I have a bigger box for in case.

thanks for your reply, I use near warm water and I don't have anything else to feed it. we didn't expect for anything to hatch. i also dont quite know the temp but I know that the box is warm and I have a bigger box for in case.
If you set eggs, you should always expect and prepare for something to hatch

It needs baby feed poor lil thing

How can I help prevent this from happening in the future?

Attachments

• 51ICtI6rfiL._AC_SY400_-1.jpg
    51ICtI6rfiL._AC_SY400_-1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2
Also take the temperature of the brooder. What heat source are you using? If you just have one chick it’s hard to tell if they’re too hot or cold.

You might trying giving them some finely chopped/mashed hard boiled egg as well to up their protein until you can get proper food.

Where are you getting the eggs? Do you have adult quail? If so you could temporarily crush their food for the chick.

Back
Top Bottom