Baby Quail News!

Speckles started pecking at the babies and dragging them out of the nest, so I was forced to take them out as I was worried she'd kill them... Wasn't very difficult as all I had to do was stick my hand in and all the babies climbed onto it.

They are a literal handful!
But super adorable. I made a brooder for them, but they seem to prefer my hand... And I have grown to love having a handful of little quails, and will brood them in my hand for the day as they prefer it.
smile.png
They are like tiny puppies, so small and full of love.

Aww, cute I don't have buttons yet, but we just bought a few eggs the guys are going, to email when we they collect them. Good luck with the chicks!

Speckles started pecking at the babies and dragging them out of the nest, so I was forced to take them out as I was worried she'd kill them... Wasn't very difficult as all I had to do was stick my hand in and all the babies climbed onto it.

But super adorable. I made a brooder for them, but they seem to prefer my hand... And I have grown to love having a handful of little quails, and will brood them in my hand for the day as they prefer it.
smile.png
Oh, my gosh! They are so cute! I thought Coturnix babies were cute, until my friend felix's, button quail hatched chicks. Since then I have had my heart set on getting some. They sell so fast here. Congrats

I put the babies in the brooder for now, but my heart... They are just calling out for me! I really have to hold back from cuddling them.
They are indeed super cute, and very tiny. One gave me a real fright as I only counted 3 in my hand, turned out one hid in my night gown.
tongue.png

The pet stores around here only sold males, but I did buy two pretty speckled females from a breeder that lived relatively close. The babies really took after their dad in appearance. ^^

What colour is the mom? Is she ressesive, if so and the male is a dominant colouration, that will be why the mothers colouring wasn't showing up

The breeder said we'd probably get silvers from them, but I find the brown more charming. ^^ Golden pearls are very pretty though, all I knew of them when I got them is that they were white speckled. XD

Your hen is golden pearl, wich is ressesive.
You sure about that? I'd say red breasted and I'm pretty sure. Golden pearl females have a darker, more golden brown base color and much more barring. And actually golden pearl is dominant, not recessive, which red breasted is.

Last edited:

smile.png
I'd have put Speckles in her own cage and allowed mummy to raise the chicks, but the choice is yours of course. Speckles definitely wouldn't like being in her own cage, but I've had the same problem once - a hen that pecked at the chicks' feet. This was in my aviary, so I simply put a modified (with extra small mesh at the bottom) birdcage top over her and let her stay in the aviary with the others so she didn't feel too alone. A week or so later, I removed the birdcage top. She was still interested in the toes, but the chicks were a lot stronger by then and simply stepped back to se what she'd found under them that was so interesting. They also tried to hide under her. At first, she ran away. But eventually she tired of running and realized it wasn't so bad to cuddle with them. By the next day, she was taking care of them as much as the parents ^^

Back
Top Bottom