Baby quail passed out and I brought it back???

Gracekelly76

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Sydney NSW Australia
I have a baby quail that I picked up and when I was holding it, it started gasping and it kept gasping until it went limp and shut its eyes while still gasping and it had liquid in its mouth, I didn't know what to do and I was stressing so I used a syring to suck out the liquid and it woke up, but is off balance and falling everywhere and calling out

What did I do to it? Will it be ok? It was gasping for a while, maybe a minute and a half
I'm too scared to hold them now 😭

Do you have other quail with him? Assuming he has plenty of heat, access to water and food. Has he drank anything or ate since the incident? I really have no experience here, but I can say, you holding him probably didn't cause this, you were just enjoying your little guys, not trying to do any harm. ☺️ I'll tag some experts. @MGG @shawluvsbirds @Overo Mare

Do you have other quail with him? Assuming he has plenty of heat, access to water and food. Has he drank anything or ate since the incident? I really have no experience here, but I can say, you holding him probably didn't cause this, you were just enjoying your little guys, not trying to do any harm. ☺️ I'll tag some experts. @MGG @shawluvsbirds @Overo Mare
Yes I do, he has regained his balance now and has had something to drink and was pecking at the food but I'm still very worried

He was fine before I picked him up, and started gasping seconds after I picked him up like I caused water to come up or something, he was gasping with clear mucus in the back of his throat

I didn't say this because I'd feel stupid but at first I just thought he was gasping so I gave him chest compressions until I seen the mucus and sucked it out with a syringe :(

Oh my.
You probably grabbed him too tight or scared the crap out of him by picking him up.

Please don't ever give chest compressions to a quail. That is a good way to hurt and or kill it.
I'm not stupid and can't control my strength like a child. I'm pretty sure it's what other people said and that I pressed on his crop.
Oh my.
You probably grabbed him too tight or scared the crap out of him by picking him up.

Please don't ever give chest compressions to a quail. That is a good way to hurt and or kill it.
I'm not stupid and can't control my strength like a child. I'm pretty sure it's what other people said and I bumped his crop and made him regurgitate.

Also yes it could of hurt or killed him, but with him being limp in my hands I didn't have anything to lose. Better to try and him die than to not try and him still die. I was careful and that's evident because he's doing better now, although I'm still worried.

This is him a little after the incident

DSC_1695.JPG

And this is him now, I let him walk into my hand instead of picking him up this time
DSC_1711.JPG

Back
Top Bottom