??? Baby quail ???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GraceElla, Jan 14, 2013.

1. GraceElla

GraceElla New Egg

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I have a chinese painted quail breeding pair, and they have had some chicks. I have a home waiting for them to go to, but I am not sure when the babies will be old enough to leave their parents. I understand that they fend for themselves from birth, but do they need to stay with their parents for the security and protection?
    Thanks so much.

2. WalkingNorth

WalkingNorth Out Of The Brooder

I think they need to be 5 weeks old. They need their mom and dad to keep them warm till then.

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

UNless the new home is going to put them in a brooder they at least need to be fully feathered. TerriO

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    CBBQ or button quail need to be warm for 5-6 weeks, either in a brooder or with the parents. They are then ready to put into a different inclosure from the parent birds at room temp and soon, 8-10 weeks will be able to be paired up and placed into other inclosures. Buttons should not be kept outdoors if the weather is colder than 70 degrees. Good Luck!

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Button quail babies are VERY fragile at birth. I wouldn't take them away til they are fully feathered.

6. GraceElla

GraceElla New Egg

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks so much everyone! The baby quail have now moved into their new home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by