Baby question...

Congrats on your daughter!
smile.png

Wow such great advice!
You baby is adorable!
I highly recommend a sling! I cloth one. This is great for daytime and the baby can nurse and when not nursing she is being cuddled,and at the same time you can get some things done and be hands free!
As for the night time crying everyone has given great advice!
We thought my soon had an issue with the protein in my milk, and I had to watch my dairy intake, so that seemed to help for a short time.
My little guy was a spiter-upper and after having him tested we found his esophagus wasn't fully developed. He has reflex really bad, and still has issues.
I think if you nursed her more often during the day, at tight she will nurse a little less.
I would through out the schedule your baby is making your milk supply and will want to nurse a lot at first, and then at 3 weeks pick up the pace again, and again at 3 months! As I was told by my lactating consultant.
Seems like your baby will be attached to your breast for the first 3 months or so!
That is way the sling is highly recommended! LOL!
Sounds like you are doing everything right!
My little guy ended up just sleeping on my chest
with me proped in a sitting position! I also recommend a boppy pillow, it was a nursing life saver!
Have fun and cuddle your baby for my, she is so cute!
Brenda

AhBee01, the boppy pillow. Great advice. Totally slipped my mind. Those things are awesome..not only when you are nursing but when they are learning to sit up on there own too. Here's a link for anyone interested http://www.boppy.com/use

Thank you everyone for your great advice! Avery is 6 weeks old tomorrow and has been diagnosed as Colic. The past 3 weeks have been pretty difficult, with all the crying and lack of sleep.

My MIL has been very supportive and my DH has really tried to be helpful, even though his sleep has suffered too.

What am I doing for the Colic?
Well, Gripe water after her feedings if she seems really fussy after I burp her. I also have been brewing Fennel tea and giving that to her in between feedings. That seems to help her, while hydrating her.

I'm still breast feeding, and trying my hardest to watch what I eat. I've cut out broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and considering dairy.

THe last two times I have tried to give her formula, she has thrown up the next 3-4 feedings. The doctor suggested she may be Lactose intolerant. So we are going to try a Lactose-free formula and see if that makes a difference. Until we do try, I'm not drinking any milk or eating any cheese. I put a little bit of cream in my coffee, and that's it.

ANY other suggestions for Colic?

Oh, she is also still sleeping with us. I find it much easier with night time feedings, as long as my DH doesn't mind when I turn the bedside lamp on.

Yours Truly,
Sarah F

* my youngest didn't do well AT ALL on ANY formula. Kid was thin, sickly & GREY!!! I was scared to death. We finally had to put him on powdered or boxed goat's milk entirely. HE STILL can't tolerate milk very well-- Except yogurt or buttermilk, something like that. He's 25 now. We tease him that the goat's milk is what made him so hairy & stubborn!!

Last edited:
My youngest was 2 months premature and I was so overprotective but I found that if I slept with one of his blankets at night and wrapped him in it the next night my scent comforted him. I also didnt hold him for his night time feedings (but I understand your breast feeding, I couldnt) I laid him next to me so he didnt have a problem going back to his bassinette. We did however always have an afternoon nap together and he was very attached to that. Even at 5 1/2 he still likes to nap with me sometimes. Being a newborn you may have to just do what works for a few weeks till she can go longer between bottles and you can get her on a schedule. Dont worry, it will be at least 8 years before you get a good nights sleep again.
wink.png

It took me 2 months to find out he was lactose intollerant and the lactose free formula worked great. For colic I was told once to swaddle them tightly in blanket place them with their feet to your waist holding their body straight out and sway left to right. They would be going side to side, I have seen some swings like this too.

Ps, she is beautiful

Last edited:
Commiserations on the screamy baby thing -- much as it doesn't seem like it now, it WILL pass, and although the next few months may be looong months they'll only be months not years
wink.png
Our formerly screamy colicky second son turns 10 months old today, and life is EVER so much more pleasant. Your turn will come
smile.png

Since she is worse at night, have you considered that it may be 'hidden' reflux. Doctors often won't diagnose reflux unless there is gigantic spitting up but apparently (sez other drs and researchers, this isn't just a mommy theory <g>) some babies can have it without much spitting up. Again, I know this because we had one of that kind
smile.png
Arranging his bassinet so that it could be tipped on an incline to raise the head end of his body (helps keep stomach contents in stomach) with a rolled diaper below his bum to keep him from slipping slowly downards during the night really helped.

I also kept his bassinet right next to my side of the bed, so that when he was upset at night I could just drop my arm over and lay a hand on his tummy or hips or hold his hand or let him suck the tip of my pinkie finger. I could get more sleep that way, and so could he, both of our kids really needed physical touch for comforting (although I know not all are that way).

I'm still breast feeding, and trying my hardest to watch what I eat. I've cut out broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and considering dairy.

I've had MAJOR issues with things I eat making both kids cranky when they were tiny, so you might also want to check out whether yours may be affected by MSG (big issue for my #1) or coconut, chocolate, dried fruit, mangoes, large quantities of tomato products, or shellfish (my #2 did not let me eat hardly anything 'fun' for the first 7 months, lol). I was astonished at how much difference it made cutting out those foods. In fact occasionally I've been surprised to discover one of those things as a hidden ingredient in a food, after an inexplicably bad night would cause me to go back and read labels. Some babies are REALLY good ingredient-detectors
tongue.png

ANY other suggestions for Colic?

Formula often makes it worse, yeah, even fancy formulas like lactosefree or soy or whatever. Of course experiment if you want, but you might oughta keep your mind open to the possibility that this baby just needs to stay breastfed.

Oh, one other suggestion (I wish we'd done it): videotape some of the really bad colicking. Why? Because a) six months from now, when things are going so much more smoothly, you wanna be able to occasionally look back on how awful it was at first and give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for managing to survive
smile.png
; and b) because there will definitely be times when she's grown up that you wanna haul that tape out to show her and say "See? See what I put up with?" LOL

Seriously, hang in there, and congrats on the beautiful little girl,

Pat​

Last edited:
Beautiful little girl!

It's so cool reading all the great advice from so many wonderful moms.

The only thing I have to add is that with my second son the only things I could eat (literally) was chicken, green beans and drink water! That was all I ate for MONTHS!!! It's amazing I still love chicken and green beans. If I ever ate anything else he screamed for hours - and I do mean screamed. I've never heard another child to this day that could scream to the heights he reached. He's 17 yrs. old now and wonderful.

The really good thing for me regarding the above ... I lost all my pregnancy weight really fast. It also helped him if I took him for stroller walks everyday so I walked several miles every day which also helped my weight loss.

I will say that I totally believe in a good chiropractor - they are not all 'created' equal. I've had many bad ones but finally found two really great ones.

Beautiful baby!

My first baby was a cryer. She had colic, some things to try are:
a bottle of warm water
play some soothing music, and hold her close and slow dance.
gas drops
swaddle her real tight, hold her close across your chest and sway from side to side
warm a baby blanket in the microwave, or dryer, make sure its not too hot, and swaddle her
But mostly just hold her tight and sing or rock or sway, whatever works

I did let her sleep with me, because I would rock or sway her to sleep, but as soon as she touched the crib mattress she was awake. I also spent many nights in the rocker recliner. And nap when she naps, the housework can wait.

Don't give up, she will grow out of the colic. I remember sitting on the bed with her and crying to my husband "I can't take it anymore", but we just kept trying everything , but with colic, you can't get rid of it, you just have to comfort her untill she outgrows it.

I would try to feed more often during the day, and make sure she is not over stimulated before bedtime.
Watch what you eat and drink,drink,drink, lots of water.

At least 10 minutes on each breast at each feeding is best, and make sure you start with the one you finished on at next feeeding.

None of my babies slept on their backs, I would use rolled up baby blankets to prop them on their sides, and would rotate which side I layed them on, never had that ugly flat head thing going on, and always made sure their ears weren't folded. (beautiful flat ears, and round headed babies). When they were able to lift their head and turn it, then I would let them sleep on their stomachs.

I believe in a good chiropractor too, never took my babies, because I never learned about it till they were older, but considering being scrunched up in the womb and the twists and turns they go thru during childbirth, I would think somethings got moved out of place.

Good luck with your little darling, and accept all help that is offered from family and firends, try to get your rest, eat right and love every moment because they grow faster than you will ever imagine.
btw, my colicky baby girl is now 14 years old.

OH, and not all babies you have will be the same, my last baby slept through the night the first day we came home from the hospital. I had to get up anyways to express my milk cause I would get so full it would hurt..

Back
Top Bottom