Baby question...

Your baby is beautiful Sara.
smile.png

Congradulations on a beautiful baby!! And a big pat on the shoulders for reaching out. GOOD FOR YOU!! I am a Doula and I see so many Moms suffer too long before asking for advice.
You have gotten alot of really great advice...Ditto on Chiropractor, Ditto on feeding both breasts, Ditto on watching what you eat, Ditto on co-sleeping or having her near you at night, Ditto on "Happiest Baby On the Block".
Not all ways work for all babies, so feel it all out and go with your gut. Mama ALWAYS knows best!
Another thing you might try, and it is controversial, swaddler her, but let her sleep on her side with a sleep blocker. When she can lift her head you can put her on her stomach. Colicy babies, and really most all babies, do so much better on there tummies at night.
Everyone will tell you no, but my girls and pretty much everyone I know, has let there kids sleep on their side and tummy. Also, you might try to raise her head up a little higher than her feet. An incline also helps babies with reflux. Good luck!
big_smile.png

If she is fine before feeding and after day feedings, have you looked carefully at what you are eating/drinking in the late afternoon/evening?
You say she's ok the first couple feedings, then the later ones she cries, I would check my dinner menu. As has been stated earlier in the thread, everything that goes INTO you, goes OUT in the breast milk, including spices, any kind of medication, sugars etc. Try a fairly bland diet in the evening for a few days and see if that helps. (skinless chicken, baked or broiled, with rice, very little salt or spices and light on the salad dressing! If so, then you can start to re-introduce things and see what triggers it. If that doesn't work, it may be she has a problem with breast milk itself (lactose intolerence), but since you say she is ok most of the time after feeding, not likely.
Things you may also want to watch:
Caffeine (coffee, tea, soft drinks)
Sugar: (same as above)
Fatty or greasy foods
Diet/Low Calorie ANYTHING! Many diet soft drinks or snacks contain ASPERTAME(sweetner) which can cause upset stomach, headache and heartburn in adults (I'm sensitive to it, I KNOW!)
Having a new baby is a very rewarding, but sometimes frustrating part of your life. Breastfeeding IS the best, most natural way to feed, but the modern human diet can sometimes make a mess of even that!
Having said all that:
YES< SHE IS ADORABLE!! (but much cuter when asleep, right?)
wink.png

Quote:
No offence taken I understand....... I was adjusted as a baby before I left the hospital
ep.gif

My father is a Chiropractor, he was studying at the time, I was in an incubator and had issues (I was a 10 pound baby forcepts delivery) one of the professors from Palmer college came to the hospital to adjust me right there.

I understand some folks have different opinions.... mine comes from my own personal experiences.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
She's adorable! Congats!!

DD slept with us most of the time until she was about 6 months old. I just found it so convenient after those late night feedings to just bring her in bed with me. She did have terrible colic and our Dr recommended an over the counter gas drop and that helped so much.

When she started sleeping through the night we moved her to a crib in our room and then into her own room at around a year old. I couldn't stand just letting her cry and neither could DH. Most often he was the one getting up to bring her in our bed for the littlest peep.

She will be 3 in June and still comes in our bed some nights at around 2 or 3 in the morning. Usually because their is a monster in her closet, if she's not feeling well or has an accident.

Despite all the cuddling she is very independent and can get to sleep with out us cuddling her all the time. She stays at her Grandparents homes all the time over night and has no problem staying with a sitter. So I do not believe there is such a thing as over cuddling a baby.

My sisters youngest baby love to be swaddled tightly. They sell swaddle blankets that just Velcro together, making them oh so easy to use. Maybe try one of them if it's important to have her sleep in her own bed. Kendra could not stand being constricted, so the swaddle blanket did not work for us.

Everyone has given you such great advice!! I just wanted to say that I am a mom that my second child slept with us from about 1 yr to 3 and my third child is now 2 and has slept with us since a newborn. He would nurse in his sleep and it was just easier to let him latch on and both of us fall asleep.. I know so many are worried about sleeping on thier child and you would have to decide if you are a light enough sleeper to prevent that. I wake at a creak on the floor so it wasnt a problem. The only other suggestion that might work is if you have a removable car seat I would loosen the straps and let her sleep in the seat at a slightly upright position. The reflux could be a problem and this also helps when spitting up, allows it to run down the chin instead of down towards the ears. Some babies also just get overwhelmed with the daily going ons and will cry for no reason in the evening and night. Just snuggle and talk softly, whe will come around. I was told to try skin on skin as much as possible too. Nothing is better then to feel the soft skin of your babies chest and belly on your chest!!! There is nothing that you can do to spoil the child that young so dont worry and go with your feelings. Jenn

Congrats and good luck! I'm many years away from having kids of the human kind. My mom tells me that I would stay up all night and if she left my immediate line of sight, I would start to scream. I slept in my parents bed till I was about 2 when by brother was born, and then snuck back over at about 3-4 am till I was probably 6 or 7. They tell me that they tried to put me in one of those kid beds with sides, but I'd some how figure out how to get out and hit the floor in attempts to get to their bed.

I think you have plenty of good advice coming from the group. The things I would stress is

1. She's so new to this world, so she still has day/night to figure out. I wouldn't let her cry it out this young, but realize she may do that anyway. I would try and wake her more frequently during the day and pray she's tired by night and sleeps those 3-4 hrs.

2. Does she tend to pull her legs up when she is screaming? That is too a sign of colic. I would really watch what you eat. It will effect her tummy. Burping is essential for these babies, and she may need more than one.

3. Is she at a slight incline where ever she sleeps? You may want to get a wedge to put under her mattress ( they make these ). That helps sour tummies too.

4. There is nothing wroing with sleeping with your baby from time to time, but I personlly don't advice it on a reg. basis. My personal believe is that it # 1 is too dangerous, #2, if you're not careful, you'll never have private time in your room again ( I look at my brother in law as an expample- took him 7 yrs.). It's really a personal choice though.

5. Don't stress, she'll sense it.

6. I didn't use if on my kids, but I agree with the one person who mentioned chiropractic work. Just think about it. I've seen it work.

Good luck and congratulations!

Stephanie

Congratulations on the beautiful baby!

Both of my girls came home from the hospital and into their own beds but, my oldest who is now 9 still shows up in our room on a regular basis.

While my oldest loved to fall asleep while being held and then put down, my youngest did not! If she fell asleep while being held I was in trouble! I found that if I put her down just before she dozed off all went well. She also did not like sleeping in the full sized crib for a long time. During the day I used a clothes basket (idea given to me by a baby nurse) instead of a bassinet (which are expensive unless you can pass one around in a family). At night I ended up just putting the basket right in the crib and when she out grew the basket I had to put it into one end so the crib space was smaller, then she would sleep just fine.

Good luck with your beautiful little girl!
Lovingbouquet.png

Back
Top Bottom