Baby question...

Wildsky, I don't get it. Why do we even bother feeding them? Can't we just put the milk directly in the diaper and forgo the middle man?

Hsm5grls, aren't you a vegetarian?

*Hi & WELCOME to your daughter & to mommy life. Everything everybody's said applies. I'd only add: Try to sleep some when she does- if she naps during the day for example. & check her cradle area well for drafts. They (babies) REALLY don't like them! Lastly, you need to really push fluids on yourself. POST a square of paper on the fridge, and drop a ckmark on it whenever you go in to get a drink-- Less than 6 a day and baby girl might not be getting enough milk. Okay? Hugs!

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
Save some time for sure!
lau.gif

Congrats! She is beautiful. I have to agree with what most people are saying.

First, I co slept with both of my kids until I stopped nursing. I also had both of mine see the chiropractor. I actually had a chiropractor in the delivery room with me while I was in labor, and they adjusted during labor and after, and they also adjusted both of my kids within hours of being born and then they have been adjusted here and there since. My oldest would nurse one side and be done, I was lopsided for quite a while! With the youngest, I nursed him until he was six months, and I stopped because I just couldn't produce enough and the doctors couldn't figure out why. Well, when he was fully switched over to formula, he was drinking about a gallon of formula, along with his solids. He still eats a lot, and loves his food. LOL and I wondered why I sky rocketed in bra sizes. I also fully believe in swaddling, best thing anyone ever came up with. My son switched right to his crib when he was ready and was in a toddler bed shortly after his first birthday, all transitions were really smooth. The youngest however, at almost 2, still takes a paci at nap and bedtime. That will be gone shortly I hope. Every baby is different, and every baby goes through the swapping of days and nights. She will get it soon enough, then before you know it, you will almost want the snuggling at night, and sleepless nights back... I know I do....

She's beautiful!

You've gotten a lot of great advice, so I only have a couple of things to add.

On the foremilk/hindmilk issue, I'm well aquatinted with this. My second child refused to nurse at all, so I pumped for her entire first year. Your body will replace what you take - so if you're nursing for a certain time on each side, she'll get both fore and hind milk from each breast. As long as she's gaining weight, this shouldn't be a problem.

Also, one thing that hasn't been addressed - How warm is your household in these night time hours? If you keep your thermostat lower in the evening and are therefore returning her to a cold bed, that could cause some crying. This can be resolved by placing a heat pad on a low temp while you're nursing her. You can remove it when you before you go back for that second nursing and it should be OK for her. Do check before laying her down.

Your baby is precious! Enjoy her as much as you can, they grow ever so fast. I'm a mother of 2 grown sons and if I had to do it all over again, I would let my oldest son sleep with me. He was like your daughter, very clingy and wanted to be right next to me. I remember 21 years ago putting him in bed with my husband and I and I put him in the middle cuz I was scared to death we would smother him, this was before all those new contraptions they have nowadays, well anyways, Doug would scootch and scootch until he got right next to me and he was content. This was a 6lb. 9oz baby scootching across the bed until he got next to me. I couldn't believe it. Course we put him in his crib and did what the doc said, "Let him cry it out"! He screamed for 2 weeks like that before he finally stopped those screaming fits. Just do what your heart leads you to do, let her nurse as long as she wants and always have a jug of water or apple juice with you when you nurse. Take care of your precious baby. My youngest hated being on his back, he would fuss until we put him on his stomach. Once we figured that out, we never looked back. He's 18 now.

Congratulations!

That is one precious baby. You are doing well, this stage won't last forever, I promise.

I am due with number 5 and I will tell you that each kid can be completely different.

Babies can take several weeks to even out on their schedule and it is common for baby to want to sleep all day and stay up at night. As this is your first baby, adjust to her schedule. take a nap with her during the day, that way it is easier for you to handle her wakefulness at night. Gradually, start waking her during the day, mildly stimulating her by talking to her, rubbing her feet, giving her some tummy time while she is airing out. At night, try giving her a warm bath and a nice massage with lotion. As you establish a routine, you will find she will respond to it quite well. Right now, she is brand new, only two weeks old. It takes at least three weeks to establish a routine and very, very few babies have any kind of routine before they are a month old.

Chart what you are eating and drinking and note any crankiness from her within an hour of feedings. Some babies are sensitive to certain foods at certain times of the day. If you drink coffee, don't have more than a cup a day. Many people do well with a soothing cup of tea an hour before bed, it can help settle baby as well.

I co sleep with my little ones until I get tired of being kicked. I feel that co sleeping is healthy and natural, just like breastfeeding. Let's face it, not everyone can settle down on their back. I find most babies prefer to sleep on their side, just like I do. In that case, I will roll a couple of receiving blankets up and put snuggly behind their back and one snuggly in front of their tummy and legs. Babies like to feel secure, swaddling can give the baby the feeling of being hugged. I think that sleeping flat on their back makes it too easy for them to "startled" when they reflexively flail their arms.

I think that baby learns everything from you, right down to how to breathe in their sleep. In other countries like Japan, SIDS is rare and co sleeping is predominate. On the issue of teaching baby to sleep on her own, through out the day, I will lay baby down sleepy but awake so she can get use to settling herself and I don't tip toe around. Babies need noise, it will lead to better naps when they get older. This will also allow you to eventually have "a lone" time with your spouse.

As long as baby is wetting 10 or more times a day and gaining weight, she is getting plenty of milk. If you have any concerns, drink a glass of water, decaf tea or juice every time you feed her, then you will know that you are keeping yourself hydrated and your body will keep your milk supply high.

If all else fails, car rides really do work... If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Leslie

Quote:
I'm a vegetarian, but I don't know if that has ever come up on this board w/me so I don't know if you would have me confused for Hsm5grls....
lol.png
Who knows! I'm sure there's more than one veggie on here....somewhere....

Back
Top Bottom