Baby questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeniseV, Jun 4, 2016.

1. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I brought in a new baby Khaki to be with my 1 yr. old female Khaki. She's done a wonderful job accepting her as her own. Up to now, I've kept the baby caged inside the baby pool, with pine shavings, during the day. I'm afraid to let her out and have her run away. We've had her for about a week and a half (she is 1 month old). She seems as if she'd stay with the 1 year old but I'm afraid to let her out. Does anyone have any advice? When do you think it would be safe to let her roam with my 1 year old? If she does stay with her will we be able to get her to come back with her?

I also have 5 2 month old Pekin's that don't seem to accept my 1 year old Khaki. They push her around and nudge her away when they don't want her near. I'm worried that they'll do the same to the baby. They have all been housed very close to each other but they don't seem to be very accepting of the Khaki. She's lost 3 of her litter mates recently so she needs some extra love. The baby seems to be helping but the Pekins aren't :(

Sorry for so many questions...

Denise

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    You can let the older and younger KCs out together; there may be a little bickering at first, but they should get along soon. They will stay together if they get along. So, yes, it's safe to let them run around together.
    I don't know what the Pekins will do to the little one. I think the only way to know is to introduce them.
    The poor KC! I'm glad the little one helps. [​IMG]
    You don't need to apologize for asking questions! We're all happy to answer :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by