baby roo trying to simulate mating?

one of my lil roosters simulated mating on one of its sisters. he jumped on top of her and did the simulated mating just like a rooster mates with a chicken. he was about 2 months old when he did this and it hasnt happen again.

My 6 week old roo tried to do this the first time I introduced him to the adult hens. He grabbed one of my Wyandottes by the back of the neck & hopped on. He tried to stay on, it looked like a little chicken rodeo bronc, but poor little guy couldn't hold on & the hen was ticked. She ran him down, gave him a peck & he has not tried it since.

I've had two like that this year! The 5 week old is getting just horrible, and the 14 week old I just finally got sick of. They are both going into the summer coop until they get big enough to eat. I caught the 14 week old (he started grabbing the girls around 4 to 5 weeks) last weekend and threw him in man jail. He was terrorising the older girls. He even decided to move into the big coop with them. That's were I got him. It's too bad too as he's a Blue Andalusian and quite pretty, but he's just so quick that the other roos don't even get a chance to discover what all the fuss is about with one girl before he's already grabbing another. I've never seen a rooster this bad before. When he started being girl crazy around 5 weeks I was surprised, but now he's just insane. The other 14 week old is quit calm and just begining to take an interest in the girls. Of course he is a Silver Spangled Hamburg and really he isn't much bigger than the five week old. Napoleon we will keep as we have about 10 Hamburgs and I would like to put them in their own coop. I also wouldn't mind putting the Leghorns in with him, but that means building a new coop, and I still have to insulate the two new ones and get the duck goose winter house built. He is skittish like Hamburgs, but he's not agressive and that's the most important quility for me. I think Napoleon will be a nice addition to our rooster collection. The five week old jumps the fence and tries to get the 5 month olds. He also tries to mate the few fatties (cornish X) that are in with them. Something about the big girls that drive these little roos crazy. I think the 5 week old is a Partridge Rock, so he should have enough meat on him when he's older. I think these two would be way to overly agressive to keep. I prefer to keep the more gentle roos as really they (all the egg laying breeds) are my 7 year olds, and I don't want to see him get hurt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our two broodies babies aren't boy's.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom