Baby rooster identification?

me2pl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Chico, California
YEAAAAAAAH!!! the chicks we ordered in march finally shipped. . . but how we tell if we got a rooster or not? Our only experience with baby roosters was with a silver seabright roo, which has the same plumage as the hens. any ideas?

To identify roosters, you'll look at the comb and wattles (which will be bigger and redder) and the hackle and saddle feathers (which are long and stringy on boys, as opposed to short rounded feathers on girls). With some colors (like partridge for example), males will have a completely different feather pattern than girls. And in my opinion, males feather patterns are more flashy and vibrant (they have to look their best to attract all those lovely ladies!). Good luck, there always the what breed or gender section, and lots of knowledgeable folks who love guessing games!

thank you for the help, how about some cuuuuute chicken photos?

82959_003.jpg

82959_004.jpg

I haven't had a lot of experience with identifying roosters but in the chicks I have had for the last couple of years, the roosters have always had thicker legs, even as chicks.

If you go to youtube and type sexing chickens you will see a video showing how the professionals sex them in hatcheries. Basically by primary feather patterns on the wings.. Hens are uneven. Roosters are even.

When we ordered at the end of may we received a free chick and 15 weeks later it has a huge comb and it crows! The only way I wasa told is when there just hatched there Vent checked by professional and even then. They only guarantee like 90%

I have 2 week old chicks....straight run silkies...One is bigger than the rest and has big ole feet and legs that are really fluffy....Our guess is it be a he!!!!
big_smile.png
But they say that silkies are hard to sex and when they crow or lay an egg then you know!!!

Back
Top Bottom