Baby roosters vs baby hens

JenniferP5970

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Westcliffe, Colorado
Hello, I am new to raising chickens. I just bought my first four baby chicks last week. They were five weeks old and the lady that sold them to me said they were to young to sex at the time. Well, I have watching them very closely since I bought hem. I handle them daily to make sure they get used to me. During this very short time, I have noticed that two of the chicks are significantly larger than the other two. Also, sometimes it looks as if the larger two are trying to mount the smaller two. Then tonight, the larger two chicks faced each other off, sort of bickering jumping up and down, feathers all ruffled up. I know that I am new to the whole chicken thing. But, I think I have to 6 week old roosters instead of all 4 being hens. Secondary sex characteristics are not yet noticeable with them. Is it possible to tell a baby rooster on just its behavior or alone. Or this behavior that I am seeing common to all chickens no matter if they are male or female?

Thanks in advance.

All chicks do the chest bumping/attack thing to establish pecking order - You can't 100% sex chickens by behavior, but if two specific chicks, that are bigger then everybody else, are doing it, you might have cause to be suspicious of them. To get a sure answer you'll have to wait until they are a little older and post pictures!

Yes, That is why I am suspicious. Because, it is the two larger ones that are doing this behavior. But thank you for reassuring me that both sexes will act in this way. It makes me feel better. I will just keep watching them until its easier to tell.

Oh yeah...my young pullets will front each other, so don't use that as your guide. I agree that a significant size difference (if of same breed) is suspicious, although not a sure sign. Sometimes you can judge by feet size too...cockerels develop larger, thicker feet fairly early. The girls will have more delicate looking feet. But again, I wouldn't use that alone. Are their combs looking any different yet? Do some have much more noticeable combs than others? Or are they pretty much the same at this point?

I don't know how common this is - but MY rooster was WAY smaller then everybody until they were several months old! (He was buff orpington.)

Can you post pictures of them? There are so many experienced people here they may be able to clear up the confusion.
If you can take individual pics, standing on their own is best, and get them close up with clear photos of the comb and side shot.
Put what breed and age you were told they were and hopefully someone can help
smile.png

They are a mix Ameracauna and buff Orpington. I will post pics later when I get home to my PC. I am having technical difficulties trying to do it with my phone. I was told because they are a mix it will be another 3-6 weeks before I will be able to tell.

Back
Top Bottom