Sick Babies?

LZapoli

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I recently got 4 baby chicks from a hatchery. One Sussex, one frizzle, one polish, and one Americana. I was told they were a week old, except the Sussex was 2. Brought them home, put them in a 40 gallon plastic tub from TS, feeding them chick starter, and electrolytes, lamp at 90ish, pine shavings. Been cleaning tank every other day. On day two, the temp raised to 93 for less then an hour, raised lamp, went back to 90 that night the Sussex died. Then the Ameraucana started being less active and had eyes closed almost all the time, while eating, all the time. Went back to hatchery, bought 3 more two Sussex, and a polish frizzle. Ameraucana was significantly smaller then all the rest, got trampled, and died the next day. Have them on Corid now, today is 3rd day. Now one of the Sussex is, fluffing up, keeping eyes closed and not as active. They are all 2 and 3 weeks now, have temp at 85ish. I don't know what I am doing to kill these poor birds. They are not vaccinated. I feel like this other Sussex is going down Hill quick. It was sneezing when we got it a little. But was active and eating and drinking. Now this morning, just staying in the corner, fluffed, eyes closed. What can it be, and what can I do? I made it a egg yoke scrambled, with a couple drops of electrolytes, and sprinkled with cinnamon, but can get it to eat at this point. Have put beak next to water and corid, it will drink, but I feel horrible, cause I don't want to lose another baby. Please help me. Thanks!!

At two to three weeks old, chicks need almost no heat during the day. On top of that, plastic tubs with a heat lamp act like ovens to cook chicks as there is very little chance they can find a cool enough spot in the tub to shed excess body heat. In an indoor room, a brooder in the 90s is even much too warm for day-old chicks.

For your surviving chicks, get rid of the heat lamp during the day all together. Give the chicks sugar/electrolytes to combat the dehydration and hyperthermia. In fact, get rid of the heat lamp during the night, too. A heating pad on the lowest setting would be sufficient for them to snuggle against and a lot safer. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Your chicks at four weeks can move into a coop. Actually, they can move into a coop now once you get them stabilized. They should also be getting outdoor time to acclimatize to outdoor temps, and they will be healthier and happier than spending all the time in a plastic tub.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Read those two articles. You'll see there are better ways to raise baby chicks, and you will see that tossing the plastic tub and heat lamp is in everybody's best interest.

At two to three weeks old, chicks need almost no heat during the day. On top of that, plastic tubs with a heat lamp act like ovens to cook chicks as there is very little chance they can find a cool enough spot in the tub to shed excess body heat. In an indoor room, a brooder in the 90s is even much too warm for day-old chicks.

For your surviving chicks, get rid of the heat lamp during the day all together. Give the chicks sugar/electrolytes to combat the dehydration and hyperthermia. In fact, get rid of the heat lamp during the night, too. A heating pad on the lowest setting would be sufficient for them to snuggle against and a lot safer. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Your chicks at four weeks can move into a coop. Actually, they can move into a coop now once you get them stabilized. They should also be getting outdoor time to acclimatize to outdoor temps, and they will be healthier and happier than spending all the time in a plastic tub.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Read those two articles. You'll see there are better ways to raise baby chicks, and you will see that tossing the plastic tub and heat lamp is in everybody's best interest.
Omgoodness, thank you so much!!

Can I mix the electrolytes, corid and sugar in the water? I thought I read somewhere you can mix the corid and electrolytes, maybe I didn't. Thank you sooo much for this info!! I really appreciate your response.

Can I mix the electrolytes, corid and sugar in the water? I thought I read somewhere you can mix the corid and electrolytes, maybe I didn't. Thank you sooo much for this info!! I really appreciate your response.
You can't* mix

There is barely a scant chance your chicks have coccidiosis. Unless you've put some dirt and grass from your yard into the brooder and handled the chicks with dirty hands right after weeding in your garden, there is next to no way coccidia can make it into an indoor plastic brooder since coccidia live in the soil outside. Also, the incubation period for coccidiosis is seven days. If your chicks became sick inside of one week, it's additional evidence they do not have coccidiosis.

Mixing electrolytes, sugar and vitamins is fine, but after being on Corid, the chicks will require extra vitamin B1 since Corid blocks it. If you've been giving vitamins with B1 in them during Corid, the Corid was not effective since it requires the blocking of B1 to get rid of coccidia.

Raising baby chicks can be complicated. You've certainly had a messy learning curve so far. Stick around. We'll help you straighten it out.

Are you able to post a pic of your setup? The only time I've seen tubs that looked like a decent brooder were when people cut very big "windows" in the sides (cut rectangle opening, install hardware cloth.) I haven't seen anyone other than me talk about this, but the very first time I used a red hot lamp, I smelled something very similar to chicken cooking. That is all I needed to know it was just to hot. Killing heat is waaaaaaay more common than cold. You've already raised the lamp it sounds so good for you, but I'm just hoping to aleviate your fears that they'll be to cold. Many people who use only lamps talk about making sure they have "warm and cold zones." Get familiar with behavior too. Did the chicks that passed away (I'm truly sorry you had to go through this,) pancake? Hang out at the very edge of the tub (trying to get away from heat.) What you can do now is sort of go back to the basics: brooder as large as you can manage with consideration of how many chicks, ventalation, heat source (I very much prefer anything other than a red hot lamp. I use a heating pad and only if coops temps are very low, a ceramic heat lamp. Plenty of fresh water raised up so that bedding doesnt get in; starter feed with water added for a mash; chick grit if you have shavings (as opposed to paper towels.) I learned same way you are, sometimes the hard way, most times listening to more experienced chicken people. You got this!!

Are you able to post a pic of your setup? The only time I've seen tubs that looked like a decent brooder were when people cut very big "windows" in the sides (cut rectangle opening, install hardware cloth.) I haven't seen anyone other than me talk about this, but the very first time I used a red hot lamp, I smelled something very similar to chicken cooking. That is all I needed to know it was just to hot. Killing heat is waaaaaaay more common than cold. You've already raised the lamp it sounds so good for you, but I'm just hoping to aleviate your fears that they'll be to cold. Many people who use only lamps talk about making sure they have "warm and cold zones." Get familiar with behavior too. Did the chicks that passed away (I'm truly sorry you had to go through this,) pancake? Hang out at the very edge of the tub (trying to get away from heat.) What you can do now is sort of go back to the basics: brooder as large as you can manage with consideration of how many chicks, ventalation, heat source (I very much prefer anything other than a red hot lamp. I use a heating pad and only if coops temps are very low, a ceramic heat lamp. Plenty of fresh water raised up so that bedding doesnt get in; starter feed with water added for a mash; chick grit if you have shavings (as opposed to paper towels.) I learned same way you are, sometimes the hard way, most times listening to more experienced chicken people. You got this!!
I definitely had the room to hot. I was trying to keep.the entire laundry room at 90 the first week, then 85. I removed the lamp all together and and put a heating pad under the tub. They seem much happier. We cleaned and put paper towels yesterday. In my original post I stated we were cleaning every other day, but my daughter reminded me, she was changing it one day and I then next. Lol so.it.just seemed like every other day to me. 🤦‍♀️

Now I do this have one chick, that seems to have like a cold. It came to us sneezing and now coughing, like gaging, fluffed up. They all came from the same hatchery, clean bill.of health. I was wondering if the shaving were bothering it. That is why we changes to the paper towels. This baby, named Frack, is still eating and drinking, but separated itself and she just doesn't look like she feels well. Fluffed up, eyes closed. I spoke to a poultry vet yesterday over the phone said to give it some baytril. I have it on the way, so hopefully that will make her feel better. I really hate I lost my two favorite by the heat. I thought I was doing everything right, but failed miserably. I added the Happy Chicken supplement, has vitamins and electrolytes in it to the water, with some sugar, and stopped the corid. I did have them go outside in the grass for a little while yesterday. They loved that. My parents always had chickens but I would just feed them and gather eggs, so I had no idea so much went into caring for them. I was young though, and my parents had them set up in the barn. Wasn't my thing as a young child, teenager, so guess I didn't pay much attention. Sure wish I had now. Thanks for all the great advice and help everyone!! I appreciate it more than you know!!

So since my last post. I lost the one that was sneezing, coughing, swollen cloudy eyes. I contacted an online poultry vet, said to give Amoxy-Tylan. She passed away before it came in the mail.

I moved all the remaining chicks to the upstairs restroom, laid painters paper (basically a large roll of thick brown paper) on floor. They all looked not well, sleeping more than usual and eyes kinda swollen. But when I moved them to their new room they were running around pecking, scratching looking happy. I did have one that was weezing, today another is weezing, mouth open when breathing. I started them all on the Amoxy-Tylan yesterday since they didn't look well and were starting to show symptoms the last one that passed away started with. All the poop looks normal, but did notice one poop this morning that was dark, almost like old blood. I already cleaned all the flooring and replaced the paper. Wished I had gotten a picture.

I don't know what to do, I don't have a poultry vet anywhere near, an am afraid I am going to end up losing them all, since I don't know what I am doing. I have kept their food and water clean. Was giving them spring chicken wellness brew in their water. Letting them get sunshine each day, weather permitting. They are all between 4-6 weeks old now. Should I treat with corid, from dark poop? Can I give the corid and the antibiotics at the same time? Idk what to do to try to keep these poor babies healthy.

Back
Top Bottom