Chick Poop Questions/ Troubleshoot requested

New2ThisChix

Hatching
Mar 21, 2024
Hi! A few of my two week chicks I’ve noticed are having some runny/ occasionally straight up water stools. I added electrolytes and adjusted the heat to roughly 85ish in the hottest spot. They also have plenty of space to move around to get out of the heat as needed. Also they I think have started deciding pecking order and are flying all over the place. (They are all eating and drinking).

My biggest chick is the first one I noticed to have the watery stool. And she is drinking a lot.

They are eating unmedicated dumor chick starter only. No treats or grit.

I'd do what you're doing, and maybe yours has it, but the electrolytes I use have probiotics in it too, (Hydro-Hen or Save A Chick). Usually just a couple of hours and they resume normal pooping.

Keep an eye on it though as they are at the age where coccidiosis can strike.

I'd do what you're doing, and maybe yours has it, but the electrolytes I use have probiotics in it too, (Hydro-Hen or Save A Chick). Usually just a couple of hours and they resume normal pooping.

Keep an eye on it though as they are at the age where coccidiosis can strike.
I’ve put save a chick in it for about 24 hours now. Still runny / watery stools. What am I looking for for coccidosis?

I’ve put save a chick in it for about 24 hours now. Still runny / watery stools. What am I looking for for coccidosis?
blood in the poop but that's not always, and sometimes mistaken for a cecal poop which is normal and stinks to high heaven. Usually they're listless, standing around with their wings out a bit.

What am I looking for for coccidosis?
I'll include a link to what the Florida Extension Service has to say about Coccidiosis.

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/suwannee...creased,in a high mortality rate of the flock

While bloody poop is a sign they might possibly have Coccidiosis, most chicks or chickens do not have bloody poops with Coccidiosis. There are different protozoa that can cause this disease, some are more powerful than others. Soem show blood, some don't.

What I most look for is where they are lethargic, standing around all fluffed up and hunched up. You can tell by looking that they just do not feel good. If you see that you should start treatment immediately. Treat the whole flock.

There are other things that can cause loose stools so I don't get too excited about that. It is a sign that something might be wrong or they may have just eaten something that loosened them up. Sounds like your heat is OK.

Can you take a pic of your setup?
IMG_4052.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom