need chick help asap! lethargic, dying off by one 😭

greenback

Chirping
Jan 10, 2024
hello
erm so we have a broody hen and so we decided to give her chicks. last Thursday we went to the local tractor supply store (murdoch’s) and got three chicks. 1 speckled Sussex, 1 sapphire gem, 1 silver laced Wyandotte. On Tuesday (of this week) the Wyandotte passed so we went and got 1 Americana/arcauna mix and one silver penciled Hamburg. We introduced them to mama and she loves them!! Then this Thursday our tiny Hamburg chick passed after what I thought was straddle leg. 😭 and we went and got two more chicks today. 1 Maran and one cinnamon queen. Our sussex died today and the Americana mix isn’t doing well.
symptoms are lethargic, not eating, not drinking, won’t move. I put her under a heat lamp and hand-watered her with electrolyte water
image.jpg
(that’s the electrolytes I’m using) She’s laying down and maybe looking a little better - just looked at her and now her head is not on the ground, she’s looking up while laying down
image.jpg

Did I do anything wrong?? Are they sick - do i need to get Corid? Any help is greatly appreciated. We’re wondering if we should euthanize the Americana 😭 any help is appreciated!!

Also, photo of one of the dead chicks if it’s any help - cant see anything wrong from the outsidei maybe could do an autopsy of the Sussex chick that died this morning. Also the chicks are all about 1 week old.
IMG_2968.jpeg

@coach723 (hope it’s okay to ping u, do you have any ideas?)

Last edited:
I am not a fan of wood chips new chicks get confused and eat them. had six week old chicks that were not used to wood chips, and a lady I gave them to put the chicks on wood chips and they still ate them and died. When give people chicks now, I tell them to not use wood chips. I set my chicks one second hand cloth placemats, then roll them up and toss them when soiled.

Sorry about your chicks.

I am not a fan of wood chips new chicks get confused and eat them. had six week old chicks that were not used to wood chips, and a lady I gave them to put the chicks on wood chips and they still ate them and died. When give people chicks now, I tell them to not use wood chips. I set my chicks one second hand cloth placemats, then roll them up and toss them when soiled.

Sorry about your chicks.
I am using straw. That’s the box from when we got them. Hopefully straw is okay.

So the two new ones are in a brooder right now, they have been eating. The other one that is with mama is also eating. They are eating medicated chick feed. I think that mama smothered the tiny chick with the straddle leg but otherwise idk :hmm

First I am so so sorry this has happened. I understand I've lost one this year and am nursing another. I'd take the chicks from mom if you haven't already. If you think there could be a chance of cocci ( them foraging in dirt?) Then I'd treat with corid. You can control the temp and the habitat for them in the brooder. With momma hen it's hard to know if they were warm enough or other things out of control. Again I'm so sorry for your losses and do hope the others will be alright.

@realsis
Thank you!
I think the place that we got them was bad.
Got new chicks from a different place and they already look wayyy healthier than the other ones :)

Back
Top Bottom