baby roosters

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
My babies are starting to grow up. I know I can't be 100% sure yet, but it looks like my babies are 60% pullets and 40% roos. These numbers don't include the silkies, it's still anybody's guess with them. The little roos are funny to watch. The 5 1/2 week olds are spending their days running around the coop with my adults. I have a very gentle Phoenix rooster that seems to do a very good job keeping the peace. I saw him yesterday get after a hen that was looking like she wanted to harrass a baby. The Phoenix doesn't allow any fighting. He moved the hen away with his little chicken dance. It was funny because two little baby roos were standing behind him imitating him. He doesn't seem to mind their antics. At least they will have a positive male role model!! In past years we have let the hens hatch babies and he doesn't mind them. I just find homes for the extra roos.

Last edited:
A video of that would be very cute! I can just imagine!
lau.gif

I also have about 20 5wk old chicks and so far the mix seems to be the same as yours. I hope more of them don't turn out to be roos, I plan on culling all but 1 roo. (when they get big enough for sunday dinner of course)

about 4-5 weeks, the roos start to get a lot bigger combs. On the breeds I have anyway.
Also, the pullets seem to feather out more evenly and faster.

Last edited:
Oh, what a cute story!! Roos are so funny. I just love their little chicken dances they do. I had a small one but I got rid of him because he was too small for the other hens. I'm getting another soon. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom