Baby Turkeys Sick 1 dead 2 lethargic HELP!!

moondog419

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
I have (had) three baby Rio grand Turkeys they are about 4 weeks old they were doing great but then one of them started losing weight or not gaining weight and then got real lethargic and I tried to feed himwith a syringe but it was to little to late and he died. Thinking it was just because he was not as competitive as the other two who were twice his size I figured they would be fine but now they are lethargic too and never seem to want to do anything unless forced. I need to know what I can give them Please Help!

Thanks Dylan

Dylan, this may not work for you but with younger turkeys I have shredded lettuce and spinach for them to eat. Eating is likely not their only problem (or rather, not eating), but if you can't get them eating you won't have time to figure out what the real issue is.

Can you tell us a bit more about how they are kept? In brooder still? Type of food? Is their equilibrium normal? Is there anything you are noticing that is unusual other than their lethargy?

they are kept in a brooder with pine shavings and heat lamp standard mason jar waterer and feeder. I keep them at 90 degrees and feed them turkey starter with scratch mixed in. Other than being lethargic and unwilling to move unless forced they seem fine they eat or seem to as they have gotten bigger at least twice the size of the one that died. thats all I can really say I guess. thanks for the help

Dylan

yes or crops no on grit instead I was giving them chick scratch in addition to turkey starter.

Thanks Dylan

no mostly still fuzzy they have a few feathers on their wings thats about it.

thanks Dylan

They need grit. Are they outside at all? How is their droppings? I'm not sure about turkeys, but 90 degrees is way too hot for 4 week old chickens. Don't see why it would be any different with turkeys. Lower the heat, and see how they do.

ok, droppings seem normal, i started them on antibiotics today if they ever decide to drink I removed some heat what temp os right for them.

Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't notice the 90 deg. part. Yes, it is way too hot for turkeys. I have five (about a month old) that are outside now, with a 100 watt bulb. Temperatures are 55 deg. at night, but they are in a coop with five chicks and they all stay under the bulb at night. During the day they have no use for it with temperatures at about 75 deg. If your brooder is big enough, put the light at one end and let them regulate themselves. If not big enough, cut back on heat until they start "huddling" to stay warm. I'm not sure it is best to go straight to 70 deg. (where they should be right now, on average) since they have had it so warm for so long.

Watch their behavior, and they will tell you when the temperature is right.

Back
Top Bottom