baby wood duck?

jujubean99

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
I was sitting on the dock and I saw a tiny tiny baby duck running around on the lake all alone and cold and wet and scared, so I got him. he is in the bathroom in a box w the heater on. What should I do? What does he eat, drink, need? I have never rescued a baby duck before, I want him to be ok!!! Help?

Last edited:
You probably should have left him alone. Cold and wet?? He's a DUCK right?? Unless he was out there for over 24+ hours alone, chances are momma duck is looking for him now.

So too late now. First thing you need to do is call Fish & Game and see if you're breaking the law and if they have people to take care of him.

I would imagine water and duck starter food.

Mother was no where around. I watched for a little while and I saw no other ducks on the lake but a group of drakes. The little fellow was crying and lost looking and I don't think he would have survived the night. There are duckling eating bullfrogs and lots of raccoons and birds on the lake who would like this guy as a snack. I would like to know if I should feed him duck starter or if that is not acceptable for wild ducks? What care does he need to live?

Even if you couldn't see Mama duck, she was probably around. They will leave their ducklings for periods of time and then come back.

You can get some non-medicated chick starter and see if he'll eat that.

It is illegal to take ducks from the wild, so you really should contact someone who can take the duckling and rehabilitate it so it can be released into the wild again. Try contacting terrielacy, she may be able to point you in the direction of a local rescue.

Wow Everyone being so rude to you! Im sorry. I would keep a heat lamp on it and what do you have available? I think i saw somewhere chick starter works. Im not too sure with ducks.
Keep in mind its illegal so be careful.

God luck ! You saved a life tonight.
Mark

I called the local wildlife rehab place and I am bringing him in to them now, thanks for the info.! They say they just got in a couple more baby wood ducks, so the little guy should be happy there!!! Right now he is laying down by the heater sleeping
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom