Baby's drooping like flies.

Emily Craft

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
I hatched some quail the other day and they seemed fine but when I woke up the next morning I had already lost 2-3 and they just kept dying throughout the day. they seemed to be arching their back/neck's while laying down then seizing up and dying. If anyone know why this is happening or how to stop it please let me know.

I hatched some quail the other day and they seemed fine but when I woke up the next morning I had already lost 2-3 and they just kept dying throughout the day. they seemed to be arching their back/neck's while laying down then seizing up and dying. If anyone know why this is happening or how to stop it please let me know.
loss.jpg
welcome2.jpg

That sounds good so far. Do they have a cool end of the brooder to go to?

Edit: You probably already know this stuff, but I've learned when troubleshooting to ask all of the questions anyways.
yes they have the bottom corners of the brooder to go to.

Arching their backs as they die doesn't sound good. Is there a chance you can send one to a state lab for a necropsy? I'm no expert, but with the simple ruled out, it sounds like possible disease. I repeat, I'm no expert, but the one that I know of that causes that kind of distortion is virulent Newcastle's which is very bad.

If you do a search for a necropsy and your state, you can find a lab. The fee is usually reasonable, around $30.

Have you shown them what to eat? Quail don't instinctively know and you'll need to tap the food and the water to encourage them to eat and drink. Sprinkle food everywhere initially so that wherever they pick at they find food. After a few days they should get the hang of eating out of the feeder, but until then keep showing them and sprinkling food all around. Often they don't learn from each other - they rely on you to show them.

Have you shown them what to eat? Quail don't instinctively know and you'll need to tap the food and the water to encourage them to eat and drink. Sprinkle food everywhere initially so that wherever they pick at they find food. After a few days they should get the hang of eating out of the feeder, but until then keep showing them and sprinkling food all around. Often they don't learn from each other - they rely on you to show them.
Yes I sprinkeled food around them and they ate that and almost instantly started eating out of the feeder as well.

Back
Top Bottom