Babys duck has an odd foot...what should I do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilDucky85, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    My rescue wild mallard eggs hatched last Friday. Tomorrow they will be a week old.

Last night I noticed that one of my ducks has two toes that aren't spread apart. It looks as if the toes are together, and the webbed part isn't spread apart. I don't really know how to described it so I drew a quick little picture...

[​IMG]

Is this a deformity or can it be corrected?

2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Songster

I have no idea about this but have a couple of questions though that may help someone else answer your question.

- Does the webbing appear normal size between the toes or is the webbing smaller therefore holding the toes together?
    - Do the toes appear to be normal, in that they move normally and can flex?
    - Is the duckling able to walk normally?
    - Have you have it in any water and can it swim nomally?

Just trying to think of any questions that might help and give you a bump.[​IMG]

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    My first question would be -- does it inhibit the little guy's mobility?

It sounds like the webbing formed wrong. I don't think that can be corrected. Unless you are seeing extra webbing that is rumpled up between the "toes."

If the little guy can get around ok, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a mallard it should be able to fly, right? He might just be a slower walker/swimmer.

4. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I noticed that he liked to sit a lot rather than stand. I didn't really notice it until yesterday when I took the towels out of the bottom and left only newspaper, and shredded newspaper. The duck is fast...and I mean FAST! It was outside today and was the last to be caught. It kept running around and I didn't realize it was the deformed foot duckling until I finally caught it. It took me, and my 9 year old nephew a good 5 minutes to catch him. When he walks he kind of limps but can get around just fine other wise. I never knew ducks could move so fast, especially on one foot and pretty much a stub!

-The webbing between the toes are normal size. It just looks like it cant spread the two toes apart.
    -The toes appear to be normal, they move like a normal toe.
    -The duckling can swim just fine! Fast swimmer as well as runner!

Thank you for thinking of these things to ask. I wasn't sure what to say or how to describe it. I was wondering if it should be taped apart so that it will eventually just stay? One jumped and fell when it was only a few days old. I'm not sure which one it was but could it of broke a toe if it was this duckling?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can make a SHOE for it and tape it to the foot. For the shoe, cut a piece of stiff material of some sort and make it the shape the duck's foot should be.

6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    What program did you use to make that sketch...it looks nice!

7. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    good luck with your baby

8. jrleader99

jrleader99 Songster

I would have to agree with Wifezilla's comment about making a shoe for the little guy to wear.

Maybe you can find some Wellies or Chuck-Ts for it to wear and it would be styling.[​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

10. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    My guess then is that yes, the duckling could have broken a bone in it's foot. Making a cast (such as a shoe as Wifezilla describes) would be a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: