Baby's first words (sorta)

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
Yesterday morning I was jolted out of my breakfast-making daze by an odd sound coming from the room I'm keeping the chicks in. I was terrified. I knew one of the dogs had found a way in and had bitten a chick, or something had lodged in a throat and the noise had been the chick's last gasping breaths . . . but when I checked on the chicks, they all seemed alert and happy.

What on earth had that strange noise been?

As I sat there pondering, my little black cochin chick craned his neck, flapped his wings, and "crowed" his heart out. It was the most pathetic, painful sounding thing, and it was music to my ears.

As many chicks as I've raised, I have never heard one that young crow before. Why has no one ever told me what a wonderful thing I've been missing out on?

wow, how fortunate for you? That would be amazing. Too bad you couldn't video tape it ....like we do for our "kids". LOL I would have if I could catch it doing it. Sweet.

Well.....one things for sure.....he's a rooster. Tehe! I had a cochin sent as a free chick one time. He grew up to be sooo beautiful. He was my favorite. Then a neighborhood raccoon got hungry one night, and oh well you know the rest.
sad.png

I love it when they crow that young. I had one crow at five days old! I didn't even realize what it was doing till the next day and my DH said, "looks like he's trying to crow". Well, duh! It was adorable. Sounded like "Buh-REET!". Then the I had one crow at 7 days in the next batch. Love it when you know that early!

Maybe that's what my little Naked Neck is trying to do? He keeps butting chests with another bigger chick, and then throwing his head in the air. All that's coming out is a trident whistling peep, though. I thought maybe he was in distress.

He looks goofy enough without adding this behavior in! We get such a kick out of watching him. I didn't know they could crow so early.

That's so great. My little Rocky tried to do the same thing. He was born three days early, so he was still in the bator with the egg turner! I opened the bator, and he jumped out, fell from the table to the floor...I though, OMG..I just killed my baby chick, and he's only a couple hour old. Thankfully, he was fine. I put him in the brooder, and he was all alone for 3 days while his brothers and sisters were taking their time to hatch. By day 2, he was already trying to crow..it was the cutest thing ever. He's full grown now, and is top in the pecking order, and definately my most vocal roo.

Back
Top Bottom