Bachelor Ducks Run Amok

Booodog

Chirping
Sep 28, 2018
I started up a bachelor flock. I thought I'd done all the relevant research, but I've subsequently learned that I missed a spot. I mixed breeds/sizes...3 call ducks, 2 Indian runner, 1 Jumbo Pekin. I was already in pretty deep when I learned that this is a no-no.

My duck run can be divided without too much trouble, so I figured I'd just monitor closely. At first, everything was great. The Jumbo Pekin took over in the first 5 minutes, and everyone else seemed content to obey his every command. It was weird, and a little disturbing, but it worked. He was, in his own way, a benevolent fascist, keeping everyone in deep cover when they went outside.

A few weeks ago, as we were preparing to evacuate for the hurricane, the happy little tribe descended into chaos. The call ducks began challenging and provoking Moby Duck as their drake feathers came in. He responded with a brutal crackdown, the worst of which fell on the Indian runners for no obvious reason.

Everyone was fine when we got back, but the conflict had intensified. Lots of biting, feather pulling, attempted drownings, and mounting.

OK, rookie mistake. Get the Jumbo Pekin out. Done. That fixed...nothing. The call ducks fell out among themselves. I figured they would just work that out with a new pecking order. No. I came home to find one little man with no feathers on his chest at all, and no intention of backing down. The two of them appeared to have murder in their hearts.

I broke that up, so now I have my pen in three sections: two healthy calls, Moby Duck, and everyone else. I thought I'd give them a few days to chill out in little groups.

Moby Duck is fine being through-the-fence buddies. Put them together...it's a cage match.

Trying to figure out where I'm headed with this. Current setup is not sustainable over the long haul. What are your thoughts? Do they just need more time apart, or is it time to vote some people off the island? If I get rid of the most aggressive ducks, is that just setting up the next power vacuum?

Also, how marketable is a hyper-dominant Jumbo Pekin? Am I just setting him up to get dumped in a duck pond by someone else?

Thanks!

Unfortunately most males don't get along peacefully. Confined males will fight even more. You may need to butcher some. I would start at the most aggressive and biggest troublemakers and work my way down. You could try to find homes for them, but depending on your area the market may be full up on drake ducks needing new homes.

Last edited:
You literally can’t give away drakes around my area. Even if they give them away knowing they’ll be eaten, it takes quite awhile before they go. Honestly, I really don’t think a group of all drakes is all that likely to go well.

Is there a reason you don’t want any females?

Great storytelling ... terrible problem.

My runner duck drakes (three, at the time) got along famously. Until they got old enough to realize that their brooder mate was growing up to be a girl. Even then, their squabbles weren't overly vicious. But they clearly wanted to establish a hierarchy.

I added more hens ... and more hens. But when one of those ended up being another drake, he established ownership of his two girls and showed a distinct dislike of the older drakes. Still, no one has reached the level of your drakes' attacks.

I have given up on peace and harmony at night; the flock of 3 now lives in a separate coop -- a modified dog house -- adjacent to the others. During the day, they all free-range when I am home, and everyone manages okay. There is a 2-foot fence that can be used to separate the two flocks, when everyone needs to be confined.

Keep us posted on how this works out. Good luck.

You literally can’t give away drakes around my area. Even if they give them away knowing they’ll be eaten, it takes quite awhile before they go. Honestly, I really don’t think a group of all drakes is all that likely to go well.

Is there a reason you don’t want any females?
The bachelor flock arrangement came recommended for those in the 'burbs who don't want eggs or noise and just want to watch some ducks waddle around the yard.

Don't know if the bachelor flock is a (sub)urban legend, or I just fowled it up. If someone is doing it right, they haven't posted here yet. I also believe that the Jumbo Pekin is perhaps dominant to an unusual degree.

I can't see it working any other way than this way.
That sounds great. Here's the weird thing: these ducks have at no point shown any inclination to spread out. They actually have a pretty big run, with lots of little corners. They never use more than six square feet of it. They're always huddled up together. They would literally never need to see one another if they didn't want to.

Back
Top Bottom