Bachelor herd in springtime?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snipes, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Since I have a bachelor herd of 3, I am wondering how they are going to be when spring comes and their drakey instincts say "it's morphin time!" I mean, "it's mating time!"? My parents think it's cruel to have them be pets and not be able to mate, and I argue that since they were hand raised, and people friendly, and reliant on us for food, it's better to have them as pets. I'd like to know what those that keep ducks and have more experience with both wild and captive ones, think about that, as far as how they would deal with being unable to mate.

Is there any way to make fake ducks (or get duck decoys), drill a hole in the, you know, and use that instead and sort of fulfill the drakes' needs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    It is not cruel to not let them mate. Animals don't think of mating in the same way as humans do. If you are giving them good feed and duck companionship, they should be fine. Even in the wild, a large percentage of males won't breed every season. I think your herd of three will be fine unless there are females within sight or sound, then they might get frustrated.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    To follow up with desertdarlene,

They're gonna be fine. A friend with two drakes her first year said they were sweet and mellow and easy to get along with. A little standoffish, and at one point began to get a little bossy, but she set them straight quickly.

Others on the forum have written about having a batch of boys and they get along well.

Trouble can brew if there are females in the area - apparently the wind carries pheromones and that can affect the boys' behavior.

Tell folks to stop projecting their own concerns on poor little duckies!!! [​IMG]

(or, if you want peace in the family, perhaps you don't need to tell them that [​IMG] )

4. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

yah i agree with Amiga and desertdarlene its ok if they dont mate but im just saying tell your parents '' if you think its cruel fine then take me to a lake with female mallards and let them do their thing'' thats what i did with my males if u want to

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    It is no more strange than having a flock of roosters running around with no female. I have 3 that stay outside the pens at all times because I have no use for them as mating roosters,(I have enought already with the hens) and someone gave them to me several years ago and I didn't want to kill them so they just hang around. yes, they do fight through the fence with the other roosters from time to time, but oh well...life goes on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by