bachelor pad

I have a bachelor pad in my barn too. I have 13 Roos in the pen. They are 12 weeks old, so still young enough to not be too much trouble.

I want to find them a home, and I also want to make sure I am not wrong about them being roos! I hope I am wrong! but sadly, I think I am right.

Good luck with your bachelor pad.

I'm not keeping 13 roos. I actually have 2 that I left in with the hens. So 15!

I am glad someone asked this, cause I am needing to do this, short term anyway. Most of mine were raised together so hoping they will stay more peaceful if I remove the couple of pullets in there.

None of mine have grown up together, but they are all around 5 months old. So I am hoping for the best.
smile.png

I am thinking it will be easier than keeping the chickens separated by breeds all winter long, when there is no need to.

Last winter I had about a dozen roos, all from the same batch in a pen together. Granted, there were no girls anywhere on the premesis (something i didn't realize at the time), but though i found blood on the ground a couple of times, there was never any visible damage, and they spent many nasty winter days shut in the coop together, so I think it would be fine as long as they don't have access to the ladies.

Actually, I got rid of most of my boys, kept three (I was so naive, i thought I had two Americana hens because of the green eggs my friend found--then I found out they were roos, and a bit later realized the eggs were from the duck.) And when we added the girls to the pens they would all get together to corner the hens and take turns. Still, they never fought among themselves.

Needless to say, I quickly rehomed two of my roos. Then hens thanked me with many delicious eggs.

I built a bachelor pad just last weekend -- we have 6 roos and 11 girls, which is way too many. I moved 3 of the boys (2 RIRs and 1 BO) into their own pen (about 3000 SF) adjacent to the main pen (about 9000 SF) and it's been much calmer and quieter since. There have been no rooster fights that I know of, although it's only been a week. They are all about 6 months old and were raised together from the age of 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom