Back after a down spell and restarting with some questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by armourereric, Oct 4, 2016.

1. armourereric

armourereric Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Hi,

I sold off my duck operation in SoCal last April and moved to NC. This time I own the place, 5 acres about 10 miles south of Morganton. I try not to think about my last 6 months in CA on the farm because it got so ugly I want to get violent about it.

Anyhow, I need to ask what may be some basic questions to make sure I don't make any new mistakes this time around.

I have plotted out QTY 12, 25' by 100' and 25' X 50' pens, all will have 6 foot high electrified fencing with a 25' x 10' covered structures with individual egg nests to lay eggs on. I will be expanding with Muscovy, Khaki Campbell, Jumbo Pekin and Geese Turkeys and Quail/Keats. with no less than 25 sq ft per bird with letting them out into the rest of the field on a one breed at a time rotational basis. I will also continue with the nn GMO organic feed, New Country Organics from LOTUS in Asheville.

Now the question: I can orient these pens N-S so that half of them fall within one of 3 wooded areas on the farm of I can go E-W and have half the pens in wooded areas and half out in the field. My concern and question is will access to pine needles cause harm to my fowl. I think they would love wooded shade, but I don't want any ill effects from pine needles if they would be inclined to eat them.

Thanks,

Eric

Formerly Boulevards Fines Ducks
    soon to be
    Burke's Friendly Ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by