Back at It! Hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by helmstead, Jan 30, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    For the first time in a long time...I have EGGS in the BATOR! I've been pining for it all winter, but managed to adhere to my self-imposed no hatching rule. That is, until FlightsofFancy came along! I had sold her a couple of my babies last year - namely a feather footed Barred Rock (cross, 2nd generation off my Cochin/Silkie roo, Big Red). Sadly, a chicken hawk took her, so she wanted some more FF BRs.

First, I tried a first time broody hen with 5 eggs. She broke three, then came off the nest twice. No dice.

So, once again, the bator is fired up. I have 7 eggs in there and sure do hope I haven't lost my touch!

Everyone...do a FF dance for me! First generation launched some big differences. Speckledhen hatched some, and got all poufy heads. I hatched and got FF on pullets and poufy heads on cockerels. 2nd generation I didn't get any boys and they were all FF.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good luck. I am itching to hatch now too.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    Good Luck .

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I knew you'd be back in it before long. [​IMG] Then after this hatch, you won't be able to keep away from that bator for long, I bet. Good luck!

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Good luck with the hatch - we will all keep our fingers crossed. [​IMG]

7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Update:

Of the seven eggs I set, only ONE was fertile! FlightsofFancy deemed it the "golden egg".

I was worried...I haven't hatched eggs in so long, I felt it impossible odds that I could manage to get one single solitary egg to make it. I've since set 6 more...but that's another post.

Today, we have a pip! [​IMG] Hope to be able to post hatching photos soon...[​IMG]

8. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    The Golden Egg has hatched!

[​IMG]

I think it's a pullet, but it's not totally dry yet so I can't tell about the headspot...I'm just going off the leg shading.

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    so adorable!

10. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    HOW EXCITING! CONGRATS!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by