Back feathers not returning

Since your pullet is not quite a year old she will probably not get new feathers until she molts. Typically birds start doing an annual molt after they are 18 months old, but some will do it sooner. So hopefully late this year, late summer, fall or winter, she will molt. I would use the saddle until that happens, or separate the rooster. If your rooster is the same age then he's probably still a cockerel, not technically a rooster yet. Cockerels can be very rough and driven entirely by their hormones. He may calm with age, or not. I don't keep roosters that hurt hens. Also do some observing to make sure the saddle is staying where it should during mounting. Every bird is slightly different, so your saddle may be slipping and maybe an adjustment will help.
That's good advice. I'll keep a close eye on it when I'm able. The culprit is a cockerel who is being rough. Fingers crossed he eases up. And if he doesn't, alas, I'll have to look for a home for him. He's such a sweet guy except when he mates.A Swedish Flower Hen cockerel. Super personable and friendly, but dang he is rough on the ladies.
This is Sir Poops Alot. I never realized just how much a chicken poo's till I had him in a cage. Before and After.

View attachment 2013978View attachment 2013979

This is Sir Poops Alot. I never realized just how much a chicken poo's till I had him in a cage. Before and After.

View attachment 2013978View attachment 2013979
Wow, that was gruesome! Glad he is better and has you as his master!

Sounds like the saddle may be rubbing her and I'm not sure how well pin feathers would be able to come in if she's still regularly being mated and in a confining saddle. Maybe set her up in a run with the flock nearby till at least any callouses or wounds have healed up. Keep an eye out for pinfeathers in the meantime and give her some protein-rich treats (mealworms, crickets, fish treats (like for a cat or dog or canned) to help hurry things along.
While generally chickens wait till the molt to replace worn out feathers, I believe they will replace plucked feathers as needed - I've seen the odd pin or patch thereof out of season in my girls from time to time.

Wow, that was gruesome! Glad he is better and has you as his master!
[/QUOTE]

He was a mess, his "no feathers" picture was after cleaning him up.. washed him, used peroxide and then antibiotic ointment. Continued the ointment for a few days till his wounds healed.. once the feathers started growing back in, he went outside to the grow out/hospital coop I have. When I released him, they would not let him have treats.. so I took to hand feeding him some, it came in handy when it was time to send him to be Lord over his own flock.. he'd grown into a beautiful Roo. He's been daddy to quite a few from what I understand.

I would like to add that just about all of my hens looked like yours last summer. I had 2 roosters and 12 hens. It was crazy to see all those bare backs. I think I might use saddles this summer. Anyway, all birds started molting in the fall and their feathers all grew back beautifully for winter.

I would like to add that just about all of my hens looked like yours last summer. I had 2 roosters and 12 hens. It was crazy to see all those bare backs. I think I might use saddles this summer. Anyway, all birds started molting in the fall and their feathers all grew back beautifully for winter.
Well, I sure appreciate knowing that my lady is not alone in the chicken world! #MyHenToo!:D:D I got her a new saddle, and wing feathers crossed, this one does a better job. Thanks for the all input and advice!

My chickens had their first molt this year. And it was funny because 2 and 3yo hens did it together. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. It took them forever to lose all the feathers on their backs and tails and forever and a half for them to return. I looked at those bare backs and sad tails for what seemed like months and I was getting really concerned. But return they did and just in time for the coldest part of what has really been a long cold winter (for Los Angeles).

They have their own timetables. Whether it's laying the first egg or feathering up or returning to laying in the Spring. There's not so much point in worrying about it because -- if they aren't ill or injured -- they'll do what they do when they're ready to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom