Back from the Swap Meet

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MissJenny, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    OMG, the sights I did see! For the quickest bit of background -- I grew up on a small non-working farm -- a 5 acre yard with over-sized pets -- cows, ponies, sheep, chickens. [​IMG] So I am comfortable with dirt and manure and ordering feed and baling hay and fixing fences. But I have been in the city for years and years and years.

So off I went on an adventure several counties away with my boyfriend to a swap meet in Lucasville, Ohio -- where they keep the men's prison, don't cha know. [​IMG]

We had no idea what to expect. [​IMG] Would it be farm equipment? Flea market wares? Amish goods? Livestock? Junk? Well... yes, it was all of that. Calves and chickens and bunnies and things. Rusted tools, socks, purses, baked goods, glassware. You name it. And add the fact that it had rained constantly, about five inches of rain, for two days previously, the whole shebang was set on a lovely sea of mud. [​IMG]

The sights we did see were amazing. It was Amish meets Hillbilly crossed by Goth. A multitude of cultures from four or more states. [​IMG]

What most amazed me were the livestock -- puppies and kittens included. [​IMG] And how they were housed. Some of them were clearly well cared for in clean tidy crates, cages and hutches, while others were just crammed willy-nilly in filthy cages where their own excrement mingled with manure left from previous occupents. If I were a younger woman I would have sat down and cried [​IMG] for some of those animals. And I'd have cheered for the responsible, respectful owners of the rest. [​IMG]

Because I am not getting chicks [​IMG] till next spring I did take the opportunity to test my knowledge of chicken breeds in the feather as it were... [​IMG] this is a Seabright, that's a Gold Lace Wyandotte, those are Buff Orpingtton, these are Light Brahmas. But I also took notice of what kind of breeder I wanted to buy from -- filthy crated beasts, no -- tidy cleaned caged animals, yes. If they aren't taking care of what you can see, they sure aren't tending to what you can't see. [​IMG]

And here's the funny thing -- the people who took good care of their birds also appeared to take care of themselves. They seemed far far far more prosperous than did the dirty down-trodden people whose animals were held captive in deplorable conditions. [​IMG] There was an obvious correlation between care and attention equalling success. [​IMG]

It was a great fun day and the restraint I displayed in not bringing home dozens of needy animals -- astounding! [​IMG]

Jenny

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have yet to attend these meets but the sad part is-if People were raised in such a manor, that they have no respect for animals, they spread that down through their chicldren-it is horrible. I cant tell you how many places I've seen this at. Ive been to 2 places where things were clean and neat ad the animals fed the best-2 in two years-thats says alot about the minority of us!

3. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I can't bring myself to attend swap meets for those very reasons. Breaks my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by