Back part of his comb is discolored. Sort of dark purple/black. The rest is bright healthy red.

Feb 20, 2021
Argentina
My cockerel is in around his seventh month. Behaves much as a healthy young boy should, healthy appetite and full of spit and vinegar.

I noticed a bit of discoloration at the back of his comb, on the left side, about two weeks ago. Yesterday, I noticed the same on the right side. Not sure if related, but I also notice on occasion, for the last three days, that he shakes his head vigorously from side to side. Like he went swimming and got water in his ear that is irritating him. (Obviously he is not using our swimming pool, so that is out as a possibility).

I am really worried that he may be getting ill and this is an early sign? I would hate to lose such a good boy that the hens love.

Do you have a picture of it?
Nope. Will try soon if I can catch him standing still long enough. Busy boy, pullets that need to be looked after. 360 degree watch to happen at all times, bugs to chase down. Simply grabbing him and having my friend take a pic, assuming I can, might result in a barnyard brawl that folks will sing ballads about for years to come, so that is out.:idunno

Well, bribery worked, so I got a pic. This morning, the discoloration is almost entirely gone, just a tiny bit on the left side. variation due to temperature maybe?

Attachments

• 20230729_114201.jpg
    20230729_114201.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 17
That is perfectly normal in large combed birds. It can be dark on tips and toward the rear, and may become more red at times. Excitement and temperature changes can affect comb color. You would want to be worried if the whole comb became dark or black, though. That is a sign of heart failure and lack of oxygen. In extreme cold freezing weather, dark combs may be from frostbite.

That is perfectly normal in large combed birds. It can be dark on tips and toward the rear, and may become more red at times. Excitement and temperature changes can affect comb color. You would want to be worried if the whole comb became dark or black, though. That is a sign of heart failure and lack of oxygen. In extreme cold freezing weather, dark combs may be from frostbite.
So glad to hear that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom