Back to back hatching failures

Chickeeta

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Salt Spring Island
Not a great day. First I think I have to throw out the eggs under my broody hen because she left the unattended for 4 hours (different post) and start again. Then tonight I candled the 26 eggs in my incubator and realized that I was kidding myself that there was something alive in there. I just cracked them all open and no development. This is the second time in a row this has happened. The strange thing is that my first hatch in this incubator I had an 85% success rate and got 29 chicks. Same hens and rooster and I know my eggs are fertile (little doughnuts visible on yolk). I checked my thermometer on a regular basis and it was staying steady at 100 (well, it drops slightly and then reheats, so mostly 100). I am now starting to suspect that while it may have been a steady temperature that the thermometer is not reading properly. It's the one that came with my Havabator and pretty basic. What do you think? I am totally depressed since I had been so careful with this batch after the last total failure.

I think I may buy two new thermometers so that I have some indication when one is malfunctioning. Of course, I would have no way of knowing which one... so maybe I need a third as a back up!

Calibrate your thermometers, and at that, get a medical grade thermometer. They're expensive but most are guaranteed accurate. Calibrate your other thermometers by using that one.

I ordered a digital thermometer from Brinsea, as well as one of their standard spirit ones. I know I should also get a calibrating thermometer, but it will have to be a Christmas present since I've spent a small fortune on my "new hobby" already this year.

The real irony is that I decided to buy an incubator a couple of months back because none of my hens were showing any signs of going broody. Now I have one out there sitting on 11 eggs... wouldn't you know it.

Back
Top Bottom