Back to laying in the nest?

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I have a problem I need some old timers help with.

Some of you know I had a hen lay and hatch 6 chicks in one of the nest boxes. Now my problem is the other hen are laying all over the place and none of them seem to even consider the nest. What is the best way to entice all of them back to the nest boxes? New nesting material? Locked them all up in the run so they have no choice? I need to do something cuz I can't keep up with all their places they've chosen to lay. Plus a nest box is for laying. I made a mistake letting her stay there to begin with but how do I correct my mistake?

Try putting new straw or bedding in the nesting boxes. You can also try to go back to the basics and put golf balls in the nesting boxes. This tells them that they should be laying eggs in the boxes.

Try putting new straw or bedding in the nesting boxes. You can also try to go back to the basics and put golf balls in the nesting boxes. This tells them that they should be laying eggs in the boxes.

x2

Presuming the broody and chicks have been re-housed somewhere are not still in the nest box?

The broody and babies are staying in a nest at night. At daylight they go out with all the others. So during the day there are no chicks in the coop at all. Same routine for all um everyday.

I have the fake eggs in the nest but nobody even goes in all day, that I see anyway. I'm finding eggs in all the other places they use.

Back
Top Bottom