back to the pen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Albert Ward, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Albert Ward

Albert Ward Out Of The Brooder

When or at what age/weeks can I take my chicks back to the rest of the chickens in the pen?[​IMG]

Albert

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I have a couple questions for you before I answer.... How many chicks, how many hens and how old are both?

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine need to be 6 months at the least. I am in Ohio and it gets very cold well into May. (last night everything froze.....again!) [​IMG] I put 3 month olds outside but I had around 30 of them and I had a light on them and they are in their own pen. [​IMG] Hope this helps.

4. Albert Ward

The chicks is about 4 weeks old now. My hens is about 16-18 weeks. Their combs is starting to develop if that will help. The other chicks is about 12 weeks now and is doing fine with the older ones. The 4 week old chicks I bought from a reliable supplier who specializes in Barred Plymouth rock and some other breeds. I still feel 4 weeks is still a bit young to go to the coop and I thought to give them another 4 weeks before I put them in the coop with the others. During the day I open the brood that they can get used to the surrounding temperatures but in the evening I close them up and keep them warm. Winter will be on our doorstep soon. Our winters is quite mild compared to other regions and the temperature seldom drops below -5 deg C.

Regards
    Albert

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Where do you live?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm guessing South Africa.

The chicks need to be about the same size as the other chickens. House them side by side for a week or so before you mingle them, give them separate feeders and waterers after they mingle, mix them at night, give them enough room to get away from each other, provide new toys or distractions, and you may not have too many problems. I'm sure you are aware there will be pecking order issues, but as long as it doesn't get bloody, evertythig should sort itself out.

7. Albert Ward

Yup, South Africa, high veld region (Johannesburg, Vaal Triangle).
    Thanks for the advice!
    Albert:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by