Backyard Brahmas!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SD Bird Lady, Jan 8, 2013.

1. kirbyekitchen

kirbyekitchen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Building the coop today. Anyone have any tips for me? Anything you wish you knew the first time around?

2. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Hmm. If I could go back, I'd not necessarily make my first coop smaller, but I do understand now the advantage of a raised coop. My first is a great one, but sits on the ground, an at 4x8' that's a lot of space taken up in the run! (It was originally meant to be opened during the day for 100% free-ranged birds but ended up needing more protection, hence it being inside a run now).

Have fun! Post pics! :)

3. kirbyekitchen

Apr 5, 2014
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

First time outside!!

1 person likes this.
  4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Nice looking flock kirby.

5. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    The one I just built is big...I built separate apartments in the coop so that I can separate out birds and breed when and who I want to breed. I have a walkway down the middle of the apartments with access doors into them from the walkway. My coop is on the ground....don't like that so much, but with this size it was necessary. But, because it is also tall (12' at the center), I was able to build some second floor apartments. Access doors are good (access for you to collect eggs and chickens), but think about their placement, how often you will be using them and how sturdy they need to be. My first coop I blocked the access door with the nesting boxes, thinking that it would make it really convenient to collect eggs. But there are many times that you also need to collect chickens and for the less tame ones it is easier to do it at night when they are in the coop. I would have rethought that and did in the new coop.

Also, if you are building a smaller coop, it's nice if you can move it around. Chicken poo makes great fertilizer. If you are free ranging, that isn't so much of an issue.

And, if you are ever going to get an automatic door, make sure your cut outs for the chicken's access aren't too big. Otherwise, you may have to jerry rig something to make the doors fit.

1 person likes this.
  6. kirbyekitchen

Apr 5, 2014
    Georgia

Hey, thanks friend! It was so fun to sit and watch them.

7. kirbyekitchen

Apr 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Ok. So we started looking at all the wood we have collected and it's not nearly enough to have the coop we want. Soooo... We went to TSC and bought a small coop with an attached run to get us through until we can collect/barter for/buy more. And then we all went for a hike and had icees to cool off. :) Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  8. Retrieverluvr

Retrieverluvr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Anyone have an idea on sexes of these cuties? 5 weeks old. I lucked out last year ordering from Murry Mc Murray. I ordered 2 light Brahma's and both were pullets!

9. bumpercarr

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    Looks like two pullets and a cockerel to me. Let us know when you know for sure, we like to keep track of our %.

I love them in the ugly stage [​IMG]

10. bumpercarr

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    Just to give everyone an update. I feel like I can definitively say that the 8 month old pullet has pulled through, she is now spending time outside of the coop (although she does not like being alone out there...she's very skittish right now). She is standing upright, using her neck appropriately, eating and drinking fine, even manages to give the chicks that I've tried to put with her a peck or two for good measure. I am so happy that she made it through this! She is even acting like she's thinking about laying an egg, but hasn't laid one yet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by