Backyard Brahmas!!

Oh No!!! 2 of my TSC brahmas are showing signs of CRD. Swollen eyes with fluid dischard from eyes and nose. Loss of appetite, sneezing, etc. I quarantined one yesterday, and now ive got another sick bird this morning. The SLWs in the pen with them are also getting sick (they also came from TSC)

Is anyone else dealing with this illness?

Respiratory problems could be caused by something as simple as dirty living conditions or as complicated as a contagious disease. I would search the Emergencies section of this site and do a lot of reading. If you lose a bird try to get your state vet to do a necropsy....it's the ONLY way that you will truly know what you're dealing with.

Sorry you're going through this....good luck!

The 8 month old brahma pullet that was so grievously injured that I seriously was thinking about putting her down took a dust bath today. I never thought that I would smile watching one of them do something as simple as throw dirt over their backs, but I couldn't help but smile and ask my husband to watch. Amazing how these funny creatures can bring us so much joy in simple things.

love.gif
wee.gif
That's fantastic!!!
celebrate.gif

Junibutt, how big is the brooder that the Brahma chicks are in? They need as much room as you can give them and they need something else to do to keep from picking on each other. I do not like to separate chicks unless I absolutely have to...it makes it harder to put them back together again. I'd cover any bloody spot with a drop of Blu-kote and put that chick back with the others. Make sure it has some cover...a pile of dry branches or a roost to get up on. Then give them something else to do...make sure they have some grit then give greens/lettuce to pick at, add a dust bath or dishpan full of dry leaves. Or if the weather is good get them outside on the ground for a while each day in a small pen. Think about broody hen raised chicks...they are following her around all day, scratching, eating, learning...they are too busy to spend a lot of time picking on each other.

I would put the Legbars and Brahmas together but I have some large brooder pens to do that in. If they have enough space and cover at your place try it, but keep an eye on them in case of any bullying.

Good luck....let us know how it goes.
@Huntress78 the brooder size is 40 x 22 x 20 inch, however I am planning on making a bigger one for all 7 chicks with a partition for little ones if necessary. I like your advice about giving them activities to be busy with. When I say they fight with each other, I don't mean they pick on each other. Its like cock-fighting but not fighting just posing for it and then walking away. I think I have Blue-kote somewhere. I will try putting it on and see if they forget about the spot after a couple of pecs.

P.S. Chewie and the Legbars have integrated so well that two of them slept under her wings last night
smile.png

@Huntress78 the brooder size is 40 x 22 x 20 inch, however I am planning on making a bigger one for all 7 chicks with a partition for little ones if necessary. I like your advice about giving them activities to be busy with. When I say they fight with each other, I don't mean they pick on each other. Its like cock-fighting but not fighting just posing for it and then walking away. I think I have Blue-kote somewhere. I will try putting it on and see if they forget about the spot after a couple of pecs.

P.S. Chewie and the Legbars have integrated so well that two of them slept under her wings last night
smile.png
My older brahma chicks just love "taking care of" the younger or smaller chicks. I've never seen chicks that act so much like a broody hen at such a young age. As far as the jumping and fighting at each other, mine do that too, but then settle down as they mature (the young cockerels do it much more than the young pullets, but they both do it). Mine have a huge brooder. So, I think it is normal behavior for some of them (I have breeder lines not hatchery). Mine have never picked on one to the bloody point though, so it is probably a good idea that you separated Chewy. I do integrate all of my young ones at 4 weeks, as soon as they have enough feathers to keep themselves warm at night.

Respiratory problems could be caused by something as simple as dirty living conditions or as complicated as a contagious disease. I would search the Emergencies section of this site and do a lot of reading. If you lose a bird try to get your state vet to do a necropsy....it's the ONLY way that you will truly know what you're dealing with.

Sorry you're going through this....good luck!

Thank you!

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll do some digging into what type of hawks frequent around here and go from there.

Not sure about down there, but up this way we get an influx of hawks during migration. Historically, if I am going to have avian predation issues, it's likely going to be a young of the year hawk during fall migration.

Back
Top Bottom