Backyard Brahmas!!

It finally happened

My girls are 23 weeks old. I thought it would never happen.:ya

Congrats!

Back in March when I got my order from Murry McM my free exotic chick turned out to be a Dark Brahma. One our daughters named her "Moth" because as a chick our daughter said that she had the coloring of a Moth!
Now here we are about 4 1/2 months later & we've got this super big, gargantuan actually, UGLY pullet running outside! In the order that this Dark Brahma came in was a bunch of Pearl White Leghorns. When Moth is around those girls she reminds me of the "Stay Puff Marshmallow Man" from Ghostbusters except that she's a whole lot uglier! Poor Moth is one of the clumsiest chickens I've ever seen! But then when your legs are long enough for a Leghorn to run through them I guess a little clumsiness should be expected!
BTW- Did I mention that Moth is UGLY? Poor Moth is one of the UGLIEST chickens I've ever seen! But she is a blast to watch just to see what she's going to do next & how the other pullets are going to scramble to get out of her way so they don't get stepped on!
Oh yea, now here's my question. Since Moth is so UGLY, anyone think that she'll do the "Ugly Duckling" thing when she molts & turn into a nearly 10 pound beauty? If so, that would be really awesome! Our daughter might even allow me to take her picture with poor Moth again!
Thanks!
P.S. Moth laid her 1st egg today! It was about 1 1/4 inches long & a beautiful deep mahogany color. No idea what we'll do with that tiny of an egg, but it is cool to look at! I've had chickens off & on since the late 60's & the egg Moth gave us today was the smallest I've seen from a Chicken!
Moth sounded like a cockerel until you said she laid an egg. But Brahmas don´t lay mahogany coloured eggs. Got a pic of her? sounds very interesting!

Back in March when I got my order from Murry McM my free exotic chick turned out to be a Dark Brahma. One our daughters named her "Moth" because as a chick our daughter said that she had the coloring of a Moth!
Now here we are about 4 1/2 months later & we've got this super big, gargantuan actually, UGLY pullet running outside! In the order that this Dark Brahma came in was a bunch of Pearl White Leghorns. When Moth is around those girls she reminds me of the "Stay Puff Marshmallow Man" from Ghostbusters except that she's a whole lot uglier! Poor Moth is one of the clumsiest chickens I've ever seen! But then when your legs are long enough for a Leghorn to run through them I guess a little clumsiness should be expected!
BTW- Did I mention that Moth is UGLY? Poor Moth is one of the UGLIEST chickens I've ever seen! But she is a blast to watch just to see what she's going to do next & how the other pullets are going to scramble to get out of her way so they don't get stepped on!
Oh yea, now here's my question. Since Moth is so UGLY, anyone think that she'll do the "Ugly Duckling" thing when she molts & turn into a nearly 10 pound beauty? If so, that would be really awesome! Our daughter might even allow me to take her picture with poor Moth again!
Thanks!
P.S. Moth laid her 1st egg today! It was about 1 1/4 inches long & a beautiful deep mahogany color. No idea what we'll do with that tiny of an egg, but it is cool to look at! I've had chickens off & on since the late 60's & the egg Moth gave us today was the smallest I've seen from a Chicken!

Yes I have an 18 week old, and I actually call her my ugly duckling. However, she is the sweetest of my flock and loves nothing better than sitting in my lap or being held. When not, she is constantly eating. Found out recently that she won't mature until close to 10 months.

Housemom congrats on your egg!! I will have to watch for my girls soon. Their combs habe turned red finally.I think they abit older than yours. Sorry I can't recall age, been nuts here with Hubby's accident and my upcoming surgery.

Yes I have an 18 week old, and I actually call her my ugly duckling. However, she is the sweetest of my flock and loves nothing better than sitting in my lap or being held. When not, she is constantly eating. Found out recently that she won't mature until close to 10 months.
Just wait til she´s older. She should be big n fluffy. Mine don´t mature until over a year old, but that may depend on the line. I don´t have darks, but I think they´re very nice-looking.
Here´s what she should look like when she´s grown. Look at that beautiful feathering.
big_smile.png

Just wait til she´s older. She should be big n fluffy. Mine don´t mature until over a year old, but that may depend on the line. I don´t have darks, but I think they´re very nice-looking.
Here´s what she should look like when she´s grown. Look at that beautiful feathering.
big_smile.png

My girl actually has beautiful penciling when you blow up the picture; and she is so lovey, she is a joy. Thanks for that info.

My girl actually has beautiful penciling when you blow up the picture; and she is so lovey, she is a joy. Thanks for that info.
I just think they´re so gorgeous. When we have visitors who are interested in the chickens, I get them to feel their lovely soft feathers. Most of the chickens around here are Indian-type. So all bones and hard feathers. The Brahmas are so different.
I have light, black, partridge, buff and anything in-between (except dark! ;) ), I let them mix al together and get some interesting colours....

Back
Top Bottom