Backyard Brahmas!!

I can't help you with your roo/pullet question. Heck, I didn't even know a Rhode Island Red from a Buff Brahma! But I just have one question for ya - how the heck did you get them to stand still long enough to take such good pictures of them???

HA @Blooie, I have a coolpix p510 camera that is pretty awesome as a beginner digital. It has great zoom and takes some pretty amazing pictures considering I am a terrible photographer.

Last edited:

This is my buff brahma bantam pullet at 4 weeks

Does anyone have any pics of their 4-6 week old Dark Brahmas? I am afraid that my son's Brahma is not a pullet. She is 5 weeks.

Dark Brahma cockerels have lots of silver in the hackles, you start seeing it in the wings first, really, and lots more black rather than the lacing. The male and female in this breed look completely different.

My best friend's beautiful Dark Brahma pullet who was laying already was stolen yesterday from her pen when they left the property for just a few minutes. We know who did it but can't prove it. Circumstantial evidence, unfortunately. He certainly took the most beautiful bird in the pen and used a tobacco stick that was holding the temporary gate shut to ward off her rooster while he did it then threw the stick out in the woods behind her house. We are furious today and sick with worry about how she'll be treated. His chickens usually ended up frozen on a roost bar with no shelter outside in a dog pen in winter. He probably hid her at his brother's farm not far away. Ladyhawk suspects he took others in the past that she at first thought were taken by canine predators, but now, we are thinking otherwise on a few of those. Varmints of the two legged kind are the lowest of the low.

Last edited:
Sometimes all I can do is shake my head. <sigh> I would sure think it would be time for a critter cam out there, although it's too late to help this lovely hen and her owners. On the plus side, how many feathered-footed Dark Brahmas could he already have out in his "flock"? Should be pretty easy to spot her if he moves her from his brother's farm back to his place, and there can't be that many in Dark Brahmas in the area. Maybe if they have a picture of her, and then can spot and get a shot of her at his place, that would be enough to convince the authorities. I dunno....just grasping at straws here.

That is horrible!!!!! I wonder why he took them? For breeding?
Probably just because he thought she was pretty. He doesn't "breed" anything other than his dog he keeps calling the wrong breed.

Sometimes all I can do is shake my head. <sigh> I would sure think it would be time for a critter cam out there, although it's too late to help this lovely hen and her owners. On the plus side, how many feathered-footed Dark Brahmas could he already have out in his "flock"? Should be pretty easy to spot her if he moves her from his brother's farm back to his place, and there can't be that many in Dark Brahmas in the area. Maybe if they have a picture of her, and then can spot and get a shot of her at his place, that would be enough to convince the authorities. I dunno....just grasping at straws here.

The game warden, a friend of LH's next door neighbor, is on the brother's property now. He cut the gate lock in spite of protests that he couldn't do it (he whipped out his federal ID) and lo and behold, guess what he found? A nice healthy field of pot plants! So, that property is being searched top to bottom and if Lacey is on it, she'll be found today. And maybe someone will be in jail, one way or another. Told you, lowlifes. He has a photo of her for identification purposes already so he knows what he's looking for and has already searched some cages there but there was a locked room he didn't go into yesterday in the barn. Today, I do believe he'll be cutting off that lock and searching that room as well.

Ladyhawk's other neighbor has his entire acreage (several hundred, I think) wired and he can watch any part of it from his work. When they had a power outage recently, the system was temporarily down. And someone siphoned gas out of a tractor on his place. Gee, wonder who?
hmm.png
He will be wiring Ladyhawk's property the same way as well as another of the good neighbor's as well. And they have a private road which they have plans to put a gate across, too. This guy will be stopped one way or another.

This is the beautiful gal that lowlife stole. Still hoping she is returned to her flock. She must be so scared.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom