Backyard Brahmas!!

Well, I can't see any faults. He's beautiful to me.
love.gif

They're all beautiful. I don't cull a Brahma because he has vulture hocks or a "squirrel tail," which is one of the things they said Rocky had. My chickens aren't perfect specimens, but I love each and every one. Most people want an attractive chicken that will lay an egg here and there and/or taste good. I have the highest respect for those who are bettering the breed, but there is room in this world for the "lesser" Brahmas, too. They are just as beautiful, to me. Their eggs taste just as good, and I'm sure the meat is just as tasty, although I haven't eaten any of my Brahmas.

(Stepping down from my soapbox now)

frow.gif
just started with brahmas and felt a little intimidated "over there" so looked this up when it was mentioned... pretty birds.. i love that rooster ...

these are my first time brahmas... they have grown a bit .. need a new picture .. i got them from TSC ... i was told they were not LF but with the size of the chicks i know they are lol i had a bantam pair before but lost them to predators ... they were light brahma banties... i have 8 dark ones and 4 light ones this time ... i have heard nothing but good about this breed .. and my babies are vocal !!! they talk more than the mixed box of 50 chicks i got for my bday two years ago lol

I'm glad I found this thread. Where did everyone get their hatchery brahmas? I'm looking for just a few can anyone make a reccomendation? Qualities I'm looking for are temperment, size, and broodiness.

What are 'vulture hocks' and 'squirrel tail'? I've heard those words thrown around but don't know what they mean. I know vultures pretty well, being one of my favorite birds but I don't see any vulture in your rooster, lol.

And I've never seen brahmas offered at TSC. Seriously?

What are 'vulture hocks' and 'squirrel tail'? I've heard those words thrown around but don't know what they mean. I know vultures pretty well, being one of my favorite birds but I don't see any vulture in your rooster, lol.

yep we went in about 2-3 weeks ago and brahma was the breed of the week or whatever it is they call it when they have a particular breed for only 1.99 each instead of the usual 2.99 each so i got a dozen ... my anniversary present lol

i didnt understand those terms either .... maybe someone will explain

I'm glad I found this thread. Where did everyone get their hatchery brahmas? I'm looking for just a few can anyone make a reccomendation? Qualities I'm looking for are temperment, size, and broodiness.
I got mine from Cackle and they have a good pattern (not "smutty") and they are decent size (9 lbs.) I have 2 I recently got from ideal and am rather disappointed in them they have bulgy eyes and are almost Dalmatian like in color. So from the 2 I prefer Cackle but I haven't tried any others as of yet.

ETA: they will be 1 in May and have yet to have one be broody but my two buffs are starting to linger in the nest longer all the time so I think it may be coming.

***My buffs from cackle are more typey if you will, they have a very broad tail and a flatter head but cackle did not sell them sexed so I didn't get many of them as I didn't want to chance having a bunch of roos.

Last edited:

On chicks it looks like a second set of wings right where the scaley part of the leg ends. It should be the downy feathers in the leg area not stiff wing type feathers. Also the tail thing I am not great with a description but if you look at a show/standard Brahma they have a tuffet tail it is round & wide. Typical hatchery birds have a tent in their tail so it is like an upside down V while it should resemble an upside down U when looking from the back. Hope that helps and isn't just rambling.

I don't know I made up tuffet but it sounded good haha

tuffet is a real word .. i think lol and was good explaination ... thank you !!!

im gonna ask here what got ignored somewhere else .. does anyone know what happens when ya breed light and dark brahma together .. what color it would make ? i was thinking when these guys are grown i will just let them run together as they are all being raised together and im not looking to show ..

I got mine from Cackle and they have a good pattern (not "smutty") and they are decent size (9 lbs.) I have 2 I recently got from ideal and am rather disappointed in them they have bulgy eyes and are almost Dalmatian like in color. So from the 2 I prefer Cackle but I haven't tried any others as of yet.

ETA: they will be 1 in May and have yet to have one be broody but my two buffs are starting to linger in the nest longer all the time so I think it may be coming.

***My buffs from cackle are more typey if you will, they have a very broad tail and a flatter head but cackle did not sell them sexed so I didn't get many of them as I didn't want to chance having a bunch of roos.
Thank you! That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.
Anyone else have an opinion?

Back
Top Bottom