Backyard Brahmas!!

Lol. Kurt Crowbain. I love it!!!!

Ok dumb question time. Since we've been looking at this breed for meat/eggs we'd like to free range them as much as possible. We have Silkies that are locked up 24/7 like Fort Knox. Do hawks bother full grown Brahmas much or are they big enough the hawks would look elsewhere? I've seen the hawks with small rodents etc. but not with large birds so I'm kind of clueless on this part of it

Thanks for the help :)

Ok dumb question time. Since we've been looking at this breed for meat/eggs we'd like to free range them as much as possible. We have Silkies that are locked up 24/7 like Fort Knox. Do hawks bother full grown Brahmas much or are they big enough the hawks would look elsewhere? I've seen the hawks with small rodents etc. but not with large birds so I'm kind of clueless on this part of it

Thanks for the help
smile.png
mine run for cover when a raptor flies near. two years ago I had a hawk fly into my wire topped coop through the 6x2 foot door when the chickens were 8 weeks old. a dog killed one of my full grown male brahmas last month.

My main man Kurt Crowbain....
I don't know if he was having a bad day or ate a bad bug but he was just lazy yesterday. He would walk around with his choice girls, eat this & that, then lie down. He was super docile. When he usually struts around. I checked for mites, pasty booty, and really a whole check up & he seemed fine. He sat in my lap til it was time to go back in their coop/run. So we put some probiotics in their water, I guess for my comfort purposes. This morning he was the first to race out and start the day.

Gorgeous!! :love

Thanks for the help :)

I'm "free ranging" my Brahmas in a mobile tractor, so they always have access to fresh grass, but are protected from predators. And of course I let them out if I'm outside where I can watch them.

Thanks for the help
smile.png
I think it depends on what kind of hawks you have around. Some hawks are bird hunters, most of them are rodent/rabbit/lizard/snake hunters. You should probably try to identify what you have in the neighborhood and make your decision based on that.

Mine don't have a net over them, never had a hawk take anything but a chick.

The 8 month old brahma pullet that was so grievously injured that I seriously was thinking about putting her down took a dust bath today. I never thought that I would smile watching one of them do something as simple as throw dirt over their backs, but I couldn't help but smile and ask my husband to watch. Amazing how these funny creatures can bring us so much joy in simple things.

love.gif

I have four 3 and half week Light Brahmas from a local feed store. I got them when they were 3 days old and from the beginning they were very playfully aggressive to each other. They always jump and pose like they are fighting against each other. They are never quiet except when I turn off the light at night and make it super-dark, so there is always a ruckus going on in their brooder.

This is totally different from the Legbar chicks I hatched a week ago. They are very quiet and don't fight much. So is this a character of Brahmas? I thought they were very docile. I am wondering if this behaviour is coming from the hatchery. What do the experts here think?

Today, I found Sapphire, Sleepy and Cutie pecking at the bottom of the beak of the 4th one "Chewie". I saw faint traces of blood there so I took her (who I think might be a he) out of their brooder. Upon examining, it seemed like they were possibly pecking at his spot where the waddles were possibly starting to grow. I put him in a separate box but she was becoming restless and noisy so I had her sit on my keyboard. She cracked me up when she starting following and pecking the mouse pointer all over the screen. So I decided to put candy crush on. Chewie and I both had fun but she still did not want to stay in the box.

Therefore I was left with no choice but to try putting her in the brooder with the Legbars. First I gave it a shot by bringing all 3 of the Legbar chicks out on the dining table with her. To my surprise she did not even pay attention to them until one of them tried to flog her. Even then she just pecked her back gently on her head like a mama-hen would do. So now she/he is in the brooder with 6 day old baby chicks, who probably thinks she is their mama. Poor little Chewie! Here is her pic from 3 days ago followed by today's pics.

So what shall I do? Shall I leave her with the younger chicks even after she heals in a day or two? Shall I put her back with her siblings? or Shall I slowly integrate all of them one by one if they keep on behaving?

The 8 month old brahma pullet that was so grievously injured that I seriously was thinking about putting her down took a dust bath today. I never thought that I would smile watching one of them do something as simple as throw dirt over their backs, but I couldn't help but smile and ask my husband to watch. Amazing how these funny creatures can bring us so much joy in simple things.

love.gif
Good to hear.

Junibutt, how big is the brooder that the Brahma chicks are in? They need as much room as you can give them and they need something else to do to keep from picking on each other. I do not like to separate chicks unless I absolutely have to...it makes it harder to put them back together again. I'd cover any bloody spot with a drop of Blu-kote and put that chick back with the others. Make sure it has some cover...a pile of dry branches or a roost to get up on. Then give them something else to do...make sure they have some grit then give greens/lettuce to pick at, add a dust bath or dishpan full of dry leaves. Or if the weather is good get them outside on the ground for a while each day in a small pen. Think about broody hen raised chicks...they are following her around all day, scratching, eating, learning...they are too busy to spend a lot of time picking on each other.

I would put the Legbars and Brahmas together but I have some large brooder pens to do that in. If they have enough space and cover at your place try it, but keep an eye on them in case of any bullying.

Good luck....let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom