Backyard Brahmas!!

Ok glad it wasn't just me confused. LOL. My three are close-ish to this age, and the lack of waddles says pullet, but from this angle anyway the tail says cockerel.. lol

Ok glad it wasn't just me confused. LOL. My three are close-ish to this age, and the lack of waddles says pullet, but from this angle anyway the tail says cockerel.. lol
The tail looks to me like a cochin hen tail. Puffy. That is what I'm trying to breed out of mine if I can figure out how to do it. I actually like it, it just isn't the standard and I'm trying to get closer to that with my partridges. That cushion also reminds me of a cochin hen. So, I'm still going pullet.

And Gail328, don't worry, I'm not saying your bird is a Cochin. Often, Cochins are bred with brahmas to get some of the more unusual colors. One of the side effects is a cushion and sort of a bunny tail.

Your pic looks like my pullet's tail I think. That pic, like I said could be the angle, doesn't look as long.

Beautiful baby either way, boy girl or undecided. :)

Would like to have some of the more experienced breeders (big medicine?) tell me what they would call this hen color wise. I bought her from a breeder in Texas who called her a "splash". I bought two blue partridge and two gold partridge from her as well. She is wide bodied with a nice head. Her back is a bit rough as I just took the roosters off her two weeks ago.

I´m not an experienced breeder, but I´d like to say that´s a very pretty colour whatever it is.

Any guesses on the sex. Its 4 months old.
I´d go for cockerel, due to the brown on its wings. Going to be pretty bird, I think!

Yeah I would go with blue penciling on a buff base as well.

I don't see any indication of splash, or her neck lacing and penciling would be more washed out like the neck and tail of this splash buff Columbian hen.

One thing that catches my eye, is the way her primary wing feathers lay, especially evident in that overhead shot. Her right wing looks to be worse, but the left is not good either. I believe I would be hesitant to breed her for fear of promoting that fault in your flock. Sorry.
That´s called a buff? It´s so red! And I hadn´t noticed the flights on the lemon-blue one, what a shame.

Appreciate all the help and reviews of my buff with blue penciling. She can just be a farm hen and I will concentrate on my partridges. I do have some chicks out of her (over a buff laced rooster) so we'll see if the wing issue continues. Ann

Back
Top Bottom