Backyard Brahmas!!

Ok, ok, I will wait patiently. :p. What are their combs supposed to look like?
I am on the road right now and don't have my usual stash of chicken pictures available to me, but basically there should be three rows of bumps at the age that they are right now. Some of these pictures look almost like a cushion comb to me, but it could just be the angles. Here are all of the comb types: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-8-comb-types Brahmas are supposed to have pea combs, the picture on the link is an almost perfect pea comb.

I am on the road right now and don't have my usual stash of chicken pictures available to me, but basically there should be three rows of bumps at the age that they are right now. Some of these pictures look almost like a cushion comb to me, but it could just be the angles. Here are all of the comb types: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-8-comb-types Brahmas are supposed to have pea combs, the picture on the link is an almost perfect pea comb.

Oh, and cushion combs come from the cross of rose comb and pea comb.

I'm off to Ohio from Virginia after a few tough weeks on the vacation trail. My dad died the second day we were out, so I've spent most of the time so far dealing with that. Anyway, I'm going to try to look for a guardian dog while I'm in Ohio. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be in the Sandusky and the Zanesville areas, but can really drive anywhere within a few hours to take a look at dogs. I know it's not Brahmas, but don't beat me up too badly.
hmm.png

@livininbrazil. Aww!! Yup, they are super adorable!!

@bumpercarr I'm sorry about your dad... :( hope you are making it ok now. drive safe!! I don't know about guard dogs...you wanting them for your chickens or for you? I've heard that herding dogs actually make good "chicken keepers" when raised around chickens.

Oh, and thanks for the good info about combs. ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm new to this thread. My mom is wanting some Brahmas :) We had a Dark Brahma before but the day after she layed her first egg something got her and broke her wing. She ended up dying of some sort of infection... :( 

However, we are looking for some Brahmas again  :D  My mom loves the Dark Brahmas and I was wondering if anyone in NC GA SC VA or TN have anything available by any chance? We are wanting pullets or possibly laying hens. We have no more room for chicks :/  Our welsummers and orpingtons currently have possession over the chick set ups.. 

She would probably change her mind too if she saw another color of Brahma haha. We are in North Carolina, but would be willing to travel.

These hens would be coming to a forever home :) and will be little bug controllers until they die. No meat will be used from them :thumbsup

Thanks in advance! 

I don't know if anyone has answered your request, but i got my Brahma bantams at a hatchery... If you arent going for show stock, that might b a good route. Mypetchicken.com will sell and ship a minimum of 3 chicks.. and I've heard nothing but good about them.

I'm off to Ohio from Virginia after a few tough weeks on the vacation trail. My dad died the second day we were out, so I've spent most of the time so far dealing with that. Anyway, I'm going to try to look for a guardian dog while I'm in Ohio. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be in the Sandusky and the Zanesville areas, but can really drive anywhere within a few hours to take a look at dogs. I know it's not Brahmas, but don't beat me up too badly.
hmm.png

You looking for pups, or a older dog ?

Hi everyone, I posted my own thread about this problem but I figured i'd post here too. I just got 3 baby chicks today, one buff orpington, one light brahma, and one slw. The light brahma is the largest, and the slw is the smallest. When I put them all in their large plastic bin, the light brahma started pecking and attacking the slw. We immediately separated her from the group in her own cardboard box, which is still inside the plastic bin. What should we do now, and is there a certain reason for the brahma attacking like that? She was fine with the buff orpington. The temp in their bin is a little over 90 degrees, they have plenty of room to move around, and have plenty of food and water, so I'm not sure why the brahma was acting this way.

Hi everyone, I posted my own thread about this problem but I figured i'd post here too. I just got 3 baby chicks today, one buff orpington, one light brahma, and one slw. The light brahma is the largest, and the slw is the smallest. When I put them all in their large plastic bin, the light brahma started pecking and attacking the slw. We immediately separated her from the group in her own cardboard box, which is still inside the plastic bin. What should we do now, and is there a certain reason for the brahma attacking like that? She was fine with the buff orpington. The temp in their bin is a little over 90 degrees, they have plenty of room to move around, and have plenty of food and water, so I'm not sure why the brahma was acting this way.

How old are the chicks? Over 90* might be too hot making the Brahma crabby and irritable. Try lowering the heat to 75* and see if that helps. Maybe if they are a little cool they'll have to snuggle and it might make them get along better. If the Brahma is still causing problems try to separate her with wire so she can see the other chicks but can't get to them. Sometimes this 2-3 day 'time-out' helps.
Good luck...let us know how it goes.

Brahmas handling heat:

My Brahmas start breathing heavily when it gets to 75 degrees. We have had a very mild summer in Chicago so I am wondering how will they cope with 90 degrees temperature when they can't handle 75 degrees. I know one day it was 88 degrees and they never even came out of the coop. They are only 17 weeks old and 5 lbs so not that heavy. Is it what should I expect from them and handle accordingly?

Back
Top Bottom