Backyard Brahmas!!

I have this part brahma chicken and im trying to sex him or her quickly because im decreasing my flock size. It is 4 months old at least. Its the silver and white one in the back.
Just my 4penneth, but as we can´t see any saddle feathers (the light cockerel´s head being in the way), I´d say this looks very like a pullet. Maybe Barred Rock x Brahma? I used to have barred rocks, and the females would often have quite red wattles etc, but the one easy difference is that the females have a little less white on them (finer barring). Don´t go by the tail feathers, lots of young pullets have odd tails at first.
s this the same one that´s in the avatar? That looks to be pullet to me.
smile.png

Just my 4penneth, but as we can´t see any saddle feathers (the light cockerel´s head being in the way), I´d say this looks very like a pullet. Maybe Barred Rock x Brahma? I used to have barred rocks, and the females would often have quite red wattles etc, but the one easy difference is that the females have a little less white on them (finer barring). Don´t go by the tail feathers, lots of young pullets have odd tails at first.
s this the same one that´s in the avatar? That looks to be pullet to me.
smile.png
I was able to look in another picture and he did have the pointed saddle feathers and he tried to mount one of the females. But on a related but different note. Can females have pointed saddle feathers they just don't go as long?

Here's my 4- 20-ish day old buggers. These guys are massive, as big as my 4 week old salmon faverolles. They are starting to want to fly a bit, so I need to upgrade their brooder to a bigger size, need to clean it out with some bleach solution tomorrow. These 4 guys are some of the silliest chicks I have right now, chasing each other for a housefly one caught, and no one wants to actually eat it, just play keep away.

Here's my 4- 20-ish day old buggers. These guys are massive, as big as my 4 week old salmon faverolles. They are starting to want to fly a bit, so I need to upgrade their brooder to a bigger size, need to clean it out with some bleach solution tomorrow. These 4 guys are some of the silliest chicks I have right now, chasing each other for a housefly one caught, and no one wants to actually eat it, just play keep away.
They are adorable!

Pea comb would be dominant when crossed to a single combed bird.

Purely speculation, but the color leads me to think one parent might have been a dominant white buff columbian pattern, such as a gold comet. The dominant white would carry over visually with the single copy inherited. The sparse leg feathering suggests one parent was likely clean legged.

I'm gonna guess she's more cochin based just because of her face. Cochin's seem to have a long pointy face like that. And I don't see any trace of the heavy brow a Brahma should contribute to the mix. Though she does have a pea comb...so, who knows? Where did you get her? Do you have any idea at all what might have been around to mix where she came from?

Back
Top Bottom