Backyard Brahmas!!

Hello everybody,

Last year a friend gave me 10 eggs of her mixed Brahma flock to hatch and all the eggs produced lovely birds. I kept one rooster and 2 chickens, one of them is now the mother of 3 one week old chicks. Her sister, a big black Brahma is just beautiful, but has layed only three eggs so far, all the size of a quail egg. They were born the beginning of July last year. Never mind, she can stay anyway.

But the big boy is just wonderful, he looks great, impressive and proud, but is in fact a very sweet guy. Such a soft and nice character! Two days ago he was attacked by a sparrowhawk, who killed two of my neighbours chickens last week, when our dog saved him by barking the predator away. Our rooster jumped into my arms, scared to death, poor boy. Never seen poultry behave like this.

The flock can walk wherever they want, here in our French hamlet, I lock them up at sunset. There is a risk, I admit, foxes, hunting dogs, birds of prey and even human thieves, but freedom gives the birds a superbe health.

Mister Big likes to pose as well:

I just set 15 eggs from my gold partridge pullets! They are exposed to a blue partridge cock and a black partridge cock. I cannot wait to see what hatches!!! Doing a test hatch before I start selling eggs :)

Hello everybody, Last year a friend gave me 10 eggs of her mixed Brahma flock to hatch and all the eggs produced lovely birds. I kept one rooster and 2 chickens, one of them is now the mother of 3 one week old chicks. Her sister, a big black Brahma is just beautiful, but has layed only three eggs so far, all the size of a quail egg. They were born the beginning of July last year. Never mind, she can stay anyway. But the big boy is just wonderful, he looks great, impressive and proud, but is in fact a very sweet guy. Such a soft and nice character! Two days ago he was attacked by a sparrowhawk, who killed two of my neighbours chickens last week, when our dog saved him by barking the predator away. Our rooster jumped into my arms, scared to death, poor boy. Never seen poultry behave like this. The flock can walk wherever they want, here in our French hamlet, I lock them up at sunset. There is a risk, I admit, foxes, hunting dogs, birds of prey and even human thieves, but freedom gives the birds a superbe health. Mister Big likes to pose as well:
Mr Big sure is a pretty boy! My Brahma Henny's first eggs were small & some with no shell and not every day for about 2-3 weeks. Now they are consistently large but the color is different every day. I agree that letting them free range in the day makes them extra healthy (and happy). Mine did until they got big enough to really tear up my yard and eat my neighbor's kale. Now they get some supervised time in the evening.

I picked up my chicks today. To get the breeds I wanted I had to reserve them at a feed store 120 miles from home. They got one breed in a week early and it would be my only chance this year to get them. They did have most of the other breeds from last weeks shipment so I headed down and picked them up.

I had planned on only 3 Dark Brahma. I ended up with 3 of the dark 2? of the buff and one light. I think one of the ones she said was a buff is indeed a light colored dark.
I have not taken pics yet since they are needing to settle a bit and get some food and water after such a long drive.
I can tell already just watching them in the brooder that they will be gentle giants. Super happy to have them as an addition to my flock.

I will post pics once they have rested a bit.
big_smile.png

I just set 15 eggs from my gold partridge pullets! They are exposed to a blue partridge cock and a black partridge cock. I cannot wait to see what hatches!!! Doing a test hatch before I start selling eggs :)
Are they large fowl and how much will you be selling hatching eggs for?

Back
Top Bottom