Backyard Brahmas!!

I missed being here! (and talking to you, Bumpercarr)
smile.png
I took a little time off. I'm having fun catching up on everyones' posts.

These two babies are in the "backyard brahma" post for a reason - ha!. They are from my small flock of gold/buff laced - but there is a single splash roo in there atm. He is young and I didn't think he was doing rooster business, but they do look blue-ish to me. I need to figure out with the calculator (or all of your help) what I might have created and decide what to do with Mr. Splash
Assuming that your gold/buff laced are patterned with black, all of your babies will be blue....sounds to me like that might be what happened.

Surprising to me too that a youngster is breeding already, but I have the same situation here. I have an 8 month old and another that is about 10 months old. I put the 10 month old in with the pullets and he just stood there looking at me, he didn't have a clue. On the other hand, Houdini (you can probably guess why the 8 month old is named that) I can't keep out of the pullet pen. He flies over the fence (yes, a brahma that can clear a 5 foot fence), then flies over another fence to get to the pullets. Grabs them, throws them down, does his business and then waits for me to catch him and move him back. I finally gave up and gave him his own girls. You just never know with these darned chickens!

Yes, the feathering is red with black so these are likely little blue babies. This could be quite fun, actually.

I haven't posted here for awhile. Just want to make people aware of an experience I had with Greenfire farms last year. I ordered 7 chicks from them that were Standard Brahma partridge (gold only) for $99 a piece because I "had" to have the partridge color. They arrived half dead and one did die within a day of arrival. After lots of work the 6 that lived all grew out vulture hocks. I sent a letter to GF with pictures and eventually my money was refunded. I am not writing this to disparage GF farms: only to let you know it is best if you are looking for breeding stock to buy from a breeder where you can see the parents on site or at least pictures of them and they are reputable. I agree with being ethical above all in selling stock. I sold those birds for much less to someone who only wanted backyard birds and promised not to breed them for sale.

So they should have blue wherever there is black. Can't wait for pics as they grow up!

Do you mean in the feathering (as in lacing?) or on the chicks themselves? I've been looking at the blue genetics a bit and if the hen was a gold-laced, which I think she was, they should be relatively solid blue and blue lacing would only be possible with further generations. Is that correct?

Do you mean in the feathering (as in lacing?) or on the chicks themselves? I've been looking at the blue genetics a bit and if the hen was a gold-laced, which I think she was, they should be relatively solid blue and blue lacing would only be possible with further generations. Is that correct?
I don't think so. I'm not an expert on lacing, but the gold should still be there, just the lacing will be blue instead of black. When you breed them back to a gold laced (black), you will get 1/2 and 1/2. The reason for this is that the splash had two blue genes. It takes one gene to show blue, two genes to show splash and no genes (of this particular gene) to show black. Since the chicks get one gene from each parent, a gold laced (black) bred to a splash always get one gene and the black shows blue. The gold should not be affected by the blue gene, but may be affected by whatever the background color of the splash was. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Also, the pattern would be affected by the pattern of the splash. Probably will get what is called incomplete lacing, so the lacing will show up in some areas (say the breast) and not show up in other areas. I think Big Medicine is the champion of lacing and can probably tell you more what it would look like (all of this is assuming that your splash is not laced, if he is laced then you shouldn't have incomplete lacing).

Is the splash in this scenario a solid one colored bird ? Well as solid as splash gets with the occasional blue specks, no discernible pattern showing ?

Hello and thank you for helping me learn more about this. No - he is not at solid. He has a lot of black and red feathering. I can post a photo.

Back
Top Bottom