Backyard Brahmas!!

Here are a few more pictures. Thanks again
smile.png

I'll take a better one of him this evening and update. I was told by breeder that females do not have the red nor do other roosters. They are primarily white with black (his color with no red - as SD Bird Lady described "like a pen broke"). He was my only splash egg to hatch. I'm making myself crazy reading about red pyles vs splash. This bird should carry two blue genes, right?

Ok, the new photos have me thinking this bird might be genetically a black bird (with two copies of blue), with some red bleeding through. This is usually less of a problem with the females of the same breeding.

Soooo, this male, (if he is indeed a black, bleeding red) with two copies of blue, was breed to a gold laced female, I would expect predominantly solid blue chicks with some red bleed through on some males as they mature. Now this same male bred to a buff laced female, will depending on how many copies of dominant white she is carrying, produce all white chicks (if she carries two copies), or half whites and half blues (if she carries one copy), again with some red showing on some males.

As to the splash vs red pyle thing. A true red pyle is a black breasted red with dominant white turning what would be black to white. Splash having two copies of blue, can create a similar look. To the best of my knowledge, it is mostly Brahma people in Europe who lump all two copy blue, red based Brahmas into the catch all category "red pyle". My main issue with this loose categorization is they use it for several feather color patterns, predominantly penciled(partridge), but also columbian, let alone the various laced patterns.

Another possibility is he could be a splash version of heavily melanized penciled, or even double laced, but the females of those varieties would show the patterns.

Last edited:
Ok, the new photos have me thinking this bird might be genetically a black bird (with two copies of blue), with some red bleeding through. This is usually less of a problem with the females of the same breeding.

Soooo, this male, (if he is indeed a black, bleeding red) with two copies of blue, was breed to a gold laced female, I would expect predominantly solid blue chicks with some red bleed through on some males as they mature. Now this same male bred to a buff laced female, will depending on how many copies of dominant white she is carrying, produce all white chicks (if she carries two copies), or half whites and half blues (if she carries one copy), again with some red showing on some males.

As to the splash vs red pyle thing. A true red pyle is a black breasted red with dominant white turning what would be black to white. Splash having two copies of blue, can create a similar look. To the best of my knowledge, it is mostly Brahma people in Europe who lump all two copy blue, red based Brahmas into the catch all category "red pyle". My main issue with this loose categorization is they use it for several feather color patterns, predominantly penciled(partridge), but also columbian, let alone the various laced patterns.

This is incredibly helpful and concise. Thank you very much! Especially for clarifying the use pyle vs. splash I tend not to think he is a splash version of heavily melanized penciled or double-laced. It will be very interesting to see how the chicks feather out! If they are predominantly solid blue with little or no red - is there a reason to be hesitant to further breed?

Hi, I have one light Brahma given to me by a friend/coworker. She is a beautiful one year old. She has this serious look about her and has a care free attitude. We've only had her for a couple of days, but already I can tell she's just laid back. I could pick her up the first day and pet her. She would lay her head back against my chest while walking, like she was loving on me. The Buff Orpington we were given along with her does not like to be caught or picked up as of yet. We are working on that though.

We previously had multiple bantams and larger breed birds which were murdered by ravenous dogs in our neighborhood. After some careful and tedious planning we built this coop to withstand a dog attack. The coop itself sits nearly 3 1/2 feet off the ground and is bolted shut every night. I will not go through losing my babies again.

This is incredibly helpful and concise. Thank you very much! Especially for clarifying the use pyle vs. splash I tend not to think he is a splash version of heavily melanized penciled or double-laced. It will be very interesting to see how the chicks feather out! If they are predominantly solid blue with little or no red - is there a reason to be hesitant to further breed?

I'm thinking he is probably a solid black bird ( with two copies of blue, and red bleeding through) also.

As to breeding him, that would depend on what your goal and plans are. If you are shooting for solid blue/black/splash birds with no red bleeding through, you would have to select against that trait (visible red), in future generations

FINALLY got a good pic of my Blue Brahma cockerel!!! He hates having his pic taken. lol He is enormous & only about 6 months old!!!! He is bigger than my Blue Partridge & my Gold Laced & they are HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom