Backyard Brahmas!!

You are getting more peace than mine it seems. If I just had my Buff Orps to worry about all would be fine but my Production Reds have it out for the littles.
My Buff Orpington was the same way - she was wonderful with all of the chicks, both the older ones and these. But boy, the Rhode Island Red chicks (11 weeks old) are total bullies! That's alright - all three of them have a one way ticket to freezer camp already....bought 3 Buff Brahma pullets, got 3 RIR roosters instead. Only me. <sigh>
he.gif

Blooie, I am so glad that this worked well for you. I too will be integrating some tinies and littles soon. I am freaking out inside. I have two small Fayoumis in the mix of the tinies.They fit through the bars of our "introducing pen", so my hubby will be covering the cage with hardware cloth.

I pray to God that we are as blessed as you were. My Wyandottes and a few others can be mean to newbies.

daisy has become the cutest little buff brahma ambassador...always right there when I walk by the coop to try to grab my attention and come out for a pet n cuddle....they were a bit skittish as unfeathered chicks now just total lil cuddle bugs so happy over their temperament and everything

Blooie, I am so glad that this worked well for you. I too will be integrating some tinies and littles soon. I am freaking out inside. I have two small Fayoumis in the mix of the tinies.They fit through the bars of our "introducing pen", so my hubby will be covering the cage with hardware cloth.

I pray to God that we are as blessed as you were. My Wyandottes and a few others can be mean to newbies.
I got rid of my Golden Laced Wyandottes. I had 5 of them, and they were absolute terrors in the coop and run! They had this gang mentality that concerned me. One would start picking on another chicken and the other four would come running over at full tilt to join in the bullying. So suddenly it was 5 against one, and they showed no mercy!

A lady in our area had lost her entire flock, almost at POL, to a couple of stray dogs. She shot the dogs, but not before they'd killed every bird in her flock. She called me asking if she could buy a couple of birds from me. Her husband was away for an extended amount of time, and she was counting on those chickens to help supplement the fridge with eggs and the freezer with meat. So I had her come over and take some of mine at no charge. She ended up taking 8 - the 5 Wyandottes and 2 Buff Orpingtons at first - and then her little daughter spotted the Speckled Sussex. "Oh,Mommy! Look at the chicken with the polka dots!" So Freckles went home with the family too. All of the chickens she got from me had been laying for a month or more, so she was happy. I grabbed a partial roll of hardware cloth we had left over and followed her to her house, and we fixed the hole where the dogs got in. Then I gave her a couple of suggestions to make her setup a little safer.

Last I heard she had no problems with the Wyandottes at all. Seems that a new environment and a re-establishment of a different pecking order made the difference. But personally I'll steer clear of Wyandottes. I know folks have them and really love them, but the 5 I got didn't read the reviews on Wyandottes.

I got rid of my Golden Laced Wyandottes.  I had 5 of them, and they were absolute terrors in the coop and run!  They had this gang mentality that concerned me.  One would start picking on another chicken and the other four would come running over at full tilt to join in the bullying.  So suddenly it was 5 against one, and they showed no mercy!  

A lady in our area had lost her entire flock, almost at POL, to a couple of stray dogs.  She shot the dogs, but not before they'd killed every bird in her flock.  She called me asking if she could buy a couple of birds from me.  Her husband was away for an extended amount of time, and she was counting on those chickens to help supplement the fridge with eggs and the freezer with meat.  So I had her come over and take some of mine at no charge.  She ended up taking 8 - the 5 Wyandottes and 2 Buff Orpingtons at first - and then her little daughter spotted the Speckled Sussex.  "Oh,Mommy!  Look at the chicken with the polka dots!"  So Freckles went home with the family too. All of the chickens she got from me had been laying for a month or more, so she was happy.  I grabbed a partial roll of hardware cloth we had left over and followed her to her house, and we fixed the hole where the dogs got in.  Then I gave her a couple of suggestions to make her setup a little safer.  

Last I heard she had no problems with the Wyandottes at all.  Seems that a new environment and a re-establishment of a different pecking order made the difference.  But personally I'll steer clear of Wyandottes.  I know folks have them and really love them, but the 5 I got didn't read the reviews on Wyandottes.  
Oh my. Ours have never been that bad. We have a trio of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They just happen to always be the first to peck a new guy. My roos all look at the newbie. I had always expected them to jump first. But it is always those beauties or our Dark Brahma. I have one Marans to also be concerned about. Only those 5 have shown signs of bullying.

You are so kind to help that family out. That is what a true neighbor should do. I love to hear about people loving others.

They have to be crossed with something that has a single comb. I crossed a rose comb with single comb once and got a boy and a girl that both had single combs

Single combs occur when there are no Pea or Rose comb genes present. It takes only one copy or either pea or rose for a bird to have a comb of that type.

A one copy rose comb bird when bred to a single combed bird should produce 50% rose and 50% single combed chicks. A well bred two copy rose comb bird when bred to a single combed would produce 100% one copy rose combed chicks.

I got rid of my Golden Laced Wyandottes.  I had 5 of them, and they were absolute terrors in the coop and run!  They had this gang mentality that concerned me.  One would start picking on another chicken and the other four would come running over at full tilt to join in the bullying.  So suddenly it was 5 against one, and they showed no mercy!  

A lady in our area had lost her entire flock, almost at POL, to a couple of stray dogs.  She shot the dogs, but not before they'd killed every bird in her flock.  She called me asking if she could buy a couple of birds from me.  Her husband was away for an extended amount of time, and she was counting on those chickens to help supplement the fridge with eggs and the freezer with meat.  So I had her come over and take some of mine at no charge.  She ended up taking 8 - the 5 Wyandottes and 2 Buff Orpingtons at first - and then her little daughter spotted the Speckled Sussex.  "Oh,Mommy!  Look at the chicken with the polka dots!"  So Freckles went home with the family too. All of the chickens she got from me had been laying for a month or more, so she was happy.  I grabbed a partial roll of hardware cloth we had left over and followed her to her house, and we fixed the hole where the dogs got in.  Then I gave her a couple of suggestions to make her setup a little safer.  

Last I heard she had no problems with the Wyandottes at all.  Seems that a new environment and a re-establishment of a different pecking order made the difference.  But personally I'll steer clear of Wyandottes.  I know folks have them and really love them, but the 5 I got didn't read the reviews on Wyandottes.  

I have golden laced and silver laced wyandottes. They are pretty bossy but the silver laced ones seem meaner

Back
Top Bottom