Backyard Brahmas!!

Blooie you're such a nice person!
Aww, shucks. Thanks, but I ain't that nice.....I gave away 5 trouble-makers out of a flock of 19 to a lady who had no troublemakers and no flock. I did warn her that they weren't very nice chickens, but she liked them so she got them, and thankfully she had no issues with them when she got them home. Anyone I've "met" so far on BYC would have done the same doggone thing, so there!
tongue.gif

My Buff Orpington was the same way - she was wonderful with all of the chicks, both the older ones and these.
I wish my Buff Orp, Baby, was that way, she's a big snuggle monster but is very possessive about it and is a jealous girl. She started out as a bit of a loner chick, at the bottom of the pecking order, always wanting to come out and cuddle with mom. When they moved out to the coop she started to get ambitious and rose into second in command. When our head hen died she took her position.

The first week the chicks were out in their separate pen she would pace back and forth and try to peck them if they got close to the edge, she even tried to tidbit one then pulled out a feather. The first couple days we let the chicks free range with them both she and our bottom hen Amelia chased them (the other two in the middle could not care less).

Now the two groups pretty much steer clear of each other, if a chick gets in their space, say crossing the dust bathing are while their in it, the big girls will chase and peck them away. Amelia pulled out one of the little girls feathers for doing just that and Baby quickly gobbled up the feather. Earlier this week my little Welsummer squeezed through the fence to the neighbor's lawn, when I retrieved her I sat down and held her on my lap, Baby (the Buff Orp) rushed over and lunged at her, the little Wellie freaked out and half flew, half ran into the pen.

It's getting better, but these almost 10 week old girls still aren't big enough to hold their own.

Also I'm pretty sure that Pema, my husband's Light Brahma who I was worried about, is a pullet.

8 weeks:

9 weeks

Our son recently acquired this trio of Brahma, we were told the roo is a gold laced and the hens are light (but incorrect). I am trying not to ruin the "fun" in this for him, but i am into uniquely colored animals... our other son wants chickens now as well, what might we get if we hatch some of these eggs? ??

Our son recently acquired this trio of Brahma, we were told the roo is a gold laced and the hens are light (but incorrect). I am trying not to ruin the "fun" in this for him, but i am into uniquely colored animals... our other son wants chickens now as well, what might we get if we hatch some of these eggs? ??
I'm taking a guess here, I'm not so sure what variety I would call these. I'm not really seeing the lacing, not really seeing penciling, so I'm not sure what pattern you've got going on there. I'm thinking that the females would be patterned like the hens that you have but gold based instead of silver. The males would be split, probably more silver than gold but would have gold & some red in the feathering. Should be an interesting combination.

Just thought it was time to post an update on how my "for really" Buff Brahmas are doing! At 6 weeks, almost 7, they have been fully integrated with the rest of the flock for about 2 weeks now. They are doing great! They seem to be friendly without being pushy, which is what I like. Oh, I know, I know - I'm supposed to get all ga-ga if they run up to me and leap joyfully into my arms. But I happily accept them being content not to run like their tails are on fire, and have them puttering around in the grass at my feet. That's just me.

I'm taking a guess here, I'm not so sure what variety I would call these.  I'm not really seeing the lacing, not really seeing penciling, so I'm not sure what pattern you've got going on there.  I'm thinking that the females would be patterned like the hens that you have but gold based instead of silver.  The males would be split, probably more silver than gold but would have gold & some red in the feathering.  Should be an interesting combination.

I'm sure the boys will have fun with these whatever they are. .. i may have to get serious about it if they lose interest though, it's intriguing to me. ..

Just thought it was time to post an update on how my "for really" Buff Brahmas are doing! At 6 weeks, almost 7, they have been fully integrated with the rest of the flock for about 2 weeks now. They are doing great! They seem to be friendly without being pushy, which is what I like. Oh, I know, I know - I'm supposed to get all ga-ga if they run up to me and leap joyfully into my arms. But I happily accept them being content not to run like their tails are on fire, and have them puttering around in the grass at my feet. That's just me.
Beautiful flock. I'm the same as you, I like mine not terrified of me but also not constantly asking for attention. I have cats foe that who seem intent on making me fall to my early demise. I wonder how many falls a year are cat related?

Back
Top Bottom