Backyard Brahmas!!

I cant post links from this phone so maybe you could search....Sally Sunshine's hatching 101 thread.
Thank you for the info, I read that late last night and my head was spinning with all the information! But I did take away some useful info which I plan on posting by my incubator as reminders. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, everyone has their own opinion on what works best, so I think I'll try it my neighbours way and see what happens. I guess I was looking for a clear and easy way ;)

If I remember correct, the little motor on the automatic turner can increase the temp. a degree or two, especially if loaded heavy. If you are checking if it holds temp. without the turner running, something to consider.

If I remember correct, the little motor on the automatic turner can increase the temp. a degree or two, especially if loaded heavy. If you are checking if it holds temp. without the turner running, something to consider.

Thanks for the tip, I ran it with the turner this afternoon and the temp was perfect. I only have 7 eggs (holds 12) in there but I will keep an eye on the temp just in case.

I had also read somewhere that the eggs closest to the turner motor can get a bit warmer, so I think I'll change them around a few times. Not sure how often, I'll need to do a bit of research and find out :)

Hi fellow Brahma lovers. I too have run into the Brahma "snobs" who wont give you the time of day if you ask a question. I have many colors of Brahma possibly the largest number of colors in the USA. Yeah........ those not accepted colors . I have heard all of that too. Some of my birds have vulture hocks which I actually prefer some are show quality others need some work. But if you are looking for different colors not widely accessible in the USA, Please visit my Facebook farm page called Rainbow Brahma farms. I am currently working on Issabella Brahmas and will soon be adding blue silvers as well. Currently I have - gold partridge, blue partridge, darks, buff laced , Gold laced ( I am replacing my boy in the gold laced he is not getting the job done he is too polite.) Lavender, lavender Columbian. Blue, black and splash housed separately so the off spring will be either blue ,black or splash not Russian roulette on colors . (The exception to this is the blue pen which consists of Black boy with splash hens resulting in blue offspring.that is the only way to get all blues. ) But I invite you to come check out the pictures on my farm page. Currently not shipping any eggs at the moment the weather is to hot to ship but, I will resume shipping in the fall when the weather cools down.

my light brahmas

My neighbour brought over his incubator last night for us to borrow. I've cleaned it and have had it running since last night. Tested the auto turner today. I plan on putting 7 eggs from my dark brahma hen in there this evening...anyone have any helpful hints?

My neighbour has hatched 2 batches of eggs this spring, with about 75% hatch rate from his own eggs. He said all he does is keep the water filled and leave it alone. It is an old incubator, a Marsh TX6.

Thanks
smile.png
I candle at day 10 and day 18 (lock down day). Try to keep the humidity at between 55-60% until day 18, then I push it to 65% if I can get it up there (a lot depends on the water system). At lockdown, remove the eggs from the auto turner. Don't open after day 18 until you have chicks. I leave my chicks in the bator for at least 12 hours, 24 hours if I have more still hatching. That is all that I can think of at the moment.

The matched pair update pic at 15 weeks. He is getting HUGE! The Easter Eggers have clued in that he is going to be the guy to protect them some day, they hide behind him when I try to come close.

Back
Top Bottom