Backyard Brahmas!!

Thanks everyone. I currently don't have room for more hens so I guess he will just have to be put in "time out"....:)
PS..Does anyone use those hen aprons? I don't seem to have luck with them or maybe I'm doing it wrong....

My Pumpkin,he's 12 weeks old today. Boy I sure hope he stays this sweet. Him becoming a rooster scares the heck out of me.

Thanks everyone. I currently don't have room for more hens so I guess he will just have to be put in "time out"....:)
PS..Does anyone use those hen aprons? I don't seem to have luck with them or maybe I'm doing it wrong....
I've used them before. They don't seem to help as far as I'm concerned. I think they help with the shoulders more than with the back. Anyway, I don't recommend spending the money on them. I rotate the hens around so that they get a break, but the heat seems to be taking the urge out of the cock bird right now anyway...LOL.

My Pumpkin,he's 12 weeks old today. Boy I sure hope he stays this sweet. Him becoming a rooster scares the heck out of me.
Why does it scare you? I have very few cock birds that are aggressive and any that are find themselves in the freezer sooner rather than later. One thing to keep in mind, make sure that he understands that you are the alpha....not him. I have 18 cocks/cockerels right now and only one that on occasion will try to mate with my leg. Scares the heck out of me when he grabs on...he's not biting, just thinking that my pant legs look sexy I guess. Anyway, a few times of putting him in his place and he doesn't do it anymore. On an interesting note, he's the only one I have that was a single hatch and hand raised by me by his lonesome self.....just sayin' that now that he's with the rest of the bachelors, he seems to think that I am "his" and tries to prove it.

Food for thought.

Why does it scare you?  I have very few cock birds that are aggressive and any that are find themselves in the freezer sooner rather than later.  One thing to keep in mind, make sure that he understands that you are the alpha....not him.  I have 18 cocks/cockerels right now and only one that on occasion will try to mate with my leg.  Scares the heck out of me when he grabs on...he's not biting, just thinking that my pant legs look sexy I guess.  Anyway, a few times of putting him in his place and he doesn't do it anymore.  On an interesting note, he's the only one I have that was a single hatch and hand raised by me by his lonesome self.....just sayin' that now that he's with the rest of the bachelors, he seems to think that I am "his" and tries to prove it.

Food for thought.

I just hear all these rooster horror stories and I'm scared he'll become aggressive and I'll have to get rid of him. I'm quite attached to him. I've done it all wrong too from what I've read. I hold him, hand feed him, baby him. I've done it all. I still do it all. He LOVES it. He lap sits for a half hour easy. I just hope he stays sweet. Thanks for your thoughts!! I'll probably get a leg hump too at some point. LOL

Why does it scare you? I have very few cock birds that are aggressive and any that are find themselves in the freezer sooner rather than later. One thing to keep in mind, make sure that he understands that you are the alpha....not him. I have 18 cocks/cockerels right now and only one that on occasion will try to mate with my leg. Scares the heck out of me when he grabs on...he's not biting, just thinking that my pant legs look sexy I guess. Anyway, a few times of putting him in his place and he doesn't do it anymore. On an interesting note, he's the only one I have that was a single hatch and hand raised by me by his lonesome self.....just sayin' that now that he's with the rest of the bachelors, he seems to think that I am "his" and tries to prove it.

Food for thought.

Yup, imprinted on you. That and the slippers probably don't help any.

Yup, imprinted on you. That and the slippers probably don't help any.
What's wrong with my slippers? LOL.

Yeah, he imprinted on me for sure. I put him with the rest when he was about 6 weeks old, and he won't let me handle him easily anymore, but as soon as he sees me coming he starts pacing the fence, clucking at me and thinking that I'm his girl. Sigh. If he'd been a she I wouldn't have this problem. He's also the only one I have in the bachelor pad that wants to mate with anything that strikes his fancy....feed dishes, other cockerels, the ramp, the waterers......honestly I'll be glad when he's old enough to go into the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom