Backyard Brahmas!!

Blanche at 4 weeks old. Her black feathering around her neck is coming in more pronounced now. My daughters call it her "necklace". She is just the most friendly girl. She is the first to come to me, and she wants to be picked up and held. She also enjoys pecking my painted toenails, but I keep telling her they aren't treats, but alas, she is persistent. Hehe.

Blanche at 4 weeks old. Her black feathering around her neck is coming in more pronounced now. My daughters call it her "necklace". She is just the most friendly girl. She is the first to come to me, and she wants to be picked up and held. She also enjoys pecking my painted toenails, but I keep telling her they aren't treats, but alas, she is persistent. Hehe.

love.gif
Precious!

My incubator of Brahma eggs is on Day 14 today. I'm down to 15 from 21, after removing 4 quitters last night. At the first candling on Day 7, I removed 2, one of each color variety. All the quitters from Day One until now, except one, have been the Darks. Only one was a Partridge/Blue Partridge. So, I'm left with 9 from the breeders blue Partridge rooster over Partridge hens and 6 from this Dark Brahma pen. That's enough to have a decent breeding group if a dozen or so actually hatch.

I gave my gold brahma 6 light brahma eggs and only 1 hatched :-( Luckily a load of the barnyard mix eggs i gave her did hatch as well so hes not alone. He's got 5 LF and 2 bantam chicks for company.

Everywhere my Bramha Maxine has been broody
Omg Bramhas are hard headed broodies

I've one brahma with 8 one week old chicks and another that I've just set 12 eggs under. My other girl (I think only a brahma cross) raised 7 earlier in the year.

love.gif
Precious!

My incubator of Brahma eggs is on Day 14 today. I'm down to 15 from 21, after removing 4 quitters last night. At the first candling on Day 7, I removed 2, one of each color variety. All the quitters from Day One until now, except one, have been the Darks. Only one was a Partridge/Blue Partridge. So, I'm left with 9 from the breeders blue Partridge rooster over Partridge hens and 6 from this Dark Brahma pen. That's enough to have a decent breeding group if a dozen or so actually hatch.

Forgive my naivety, but please indulge my curiosity..... I thought Brahmas were only Light, Dark, or Buff. What other varieties exist such as your Partridge?

Forgive my naivety, but please indulge my curiosity..... I thought Brahmas were only Light, Dark, or Buff. What other varieties exist such as your Partridge?

The Light, Dark and Buff are the only ones in our American Standard of Perfection, but in other countries, there are other accepted colors, so these are technically not "project" or "designer" colors, just accepted colors in other countries. So, basically, these are imported colors. For instance, if you check out the standard in the Australian Brahma, you see even white mentioned. http://brahmacochin.webs.com/brahmastandardsaustralia.htm

Partridge is also called Gold.

Here is a breeder's link for you to see photos of their Blue Partridge Brahmas. http://chickenhillpoultry.com/index.php/poultry/large-fowl/blue-partridge-brahma

(disclaimer: I know nothing about this breeder other than they have some lovely photos. I got my hatching eggs from Tom in NY, screen name brahmapapa).

Last edited:
There are many colors of Brahma, but like speckledhen said, there are only 3 recognized varieties in the US. Other colors are recognized in other countries though. I breed (and sell) 3 colors of Brahma right now & am adding more colors next year. Here are some pics of some of mine....

Gold Laced Brahmas

Blue/Gold/Splash Partridge Brahmas

Blue/Black/Splash Brahmas

@anac1979 Thank you for posting your pictures. I had seen them recently, but they are always breathtaking. Many don't realize that other countries have different accepted color varieties (as well as slightly different traits) in their Standard, not only for Brahmas, but for other breeds as well. I have BBS in several breeds, but this Blue Partridge has just grabbed me. I hope to get a few of those, especially a male, out of my hatch in a few days.

And the blue in the blue partridge acts the same as Andalusian blue in the blue/black/splash for those who are wondering. So, the Blue Partridge Rooster over the Partridge (gold) hens that are parents of the ones in my incubator can give me both colors. I also have Darks in there, but they did not fare as well during this period with the shipped eggs, probably just younger birds.

years ago when I had my Buff Brahma hen in with my Blue Orpington rooster, I got a beautiful hen from that who looked like a Black Brahma, my Glenda, nice pea comb, just a great hen. She died suddenly at around 2 years old, what I think was an accident in the coop, never really knew for sure, but she was a wonderful broody.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom